Which System?

Kerrso05 20:14 25 Mar 06

Which system should I go for? I am not into Gaming but want to copy DVDs, make Music, surf internet, download mp3s and films, edit films etc

System One:-

AMD 3700+ 64Bit (Socket 939)
Retail Heatsink & Fan
Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe Motherboard
1024Mb PC3200 Memory
Maxtor 250Gb 7200rpm Hard Drive
Liteon 16x DVD+-RW Dual Layer
Liteon 16x DVD ROM
GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-X Graphics
19-in-1 Card Reader
Onboard Sound, Lan, USB2.0
Duke DU09AL Case

System Two:-

AMD 3800+ Athlon64 X2 Processor
Retail Heatsink & Fan
Asus A8N-SLi Premium Motherboard
1GB PC3200 Memory
Seagate 200Gb S-ATA Hard Drive
Liteon 16x DVD+-RW Dual Layer
Liteon 16x DVD ROM
3.5" Floppy Drive
Geforce 7800GT 256MB PCI-X Graphics
19-in-1 Card Reader
Onboard Sound, Lan, USB2.0
Wireless PCI LAN Adapter
Gigabyte 3D Aurora
Hiper 580W Modular PSU

Your views on these two systems would be appreciated. I want to future proof as much as possible and I can afford any one of these systems.....so price is not the problem

Thanks

SG Atlantis® 20:27 25 Mar 06

second one has a much much better graphics card, processor is dual c, sata hdd and a good strong PSU.

SG Atlantis® 20:28 25 Mar 06

dual c = dual core

zincy 20:30 25 Mar 06

May i ask where did you see the spec for the second computer?

The 2 systems are both very powerful gaming systems you probably can get cheaper system for your requirements

SG Atlantis® 20:42 25 Mar 06

If you want future proofing - spend as much as you can and get more spec than you need, your needs will change in time. There's no doubt on that and your machine will handle it because you have that bit extra invested in it.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:54 25 Mar 06

Given you don't need to worry about budget, go for the second one. Like SG says, your needs may change in time. You might then regret if you go for the first system.

Kerrso05 20:55 25 Mar 06

Thanks to those who have replied
I don't want to sound pompous or acting as if money didn't matter but in buying this new system, money doesn't because this system will have to do for a very long time. I'm sure I could get cheaper with less spec but would it future proof.
Can I ask, those that have answered,is system two more a gaming machine? Should I not go for a dual core system, if I want to future proof or is dual core systems more for gamers? ......which I'm not
These systems are in a local computer shop......which means that I can take the system back if there is any trouble and all the other bonus points that comes from that
Thanks

SG Atlantis® 21:11 25 Mar 06

dual core more for gamers?

No, more for everyone. Whilst new games are being dveloped to optimize two cores, other applications are aswell so it benefits everyone.

It's like having two processors!! While one core processes video the other handles other tasks or whatever you want to do. Multi-processing!

Kerrso05 21:18 25 Mar 06

Thanks, SG Atlantis, I thought that and that is why I also thought that the Dual Core would be more suited for my future needs.
On a seperate issue, do you think that this system could be very noisey, I haven't seen the system up and running....it is just that the local shop is selling these two systems
Thanks

Mr Mistoffelees 21:24 25 Mar 06

Ask the shop to fire them up, you can then judge for yourself if the noise level is acceptable.

SG Atlantis® 21:25 25 Mar 06

The local shop will probably build to order. It's relative to your level of tolerance, they are alot better than Intels equivalents that run "hot, hot, hot" (in the words of my daughters' fav tv show).

AMD operate cool'n'quiet technology in their processors which means that if the processor isn't needed to run at full whack then it cuts down the speed and the fans are adjusted automatically.

Specify to the shop that you want quiet and they'll recommend a good heatsink and fan for the system aswell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…