Which spyware/malware software is best?

Forum Editor 15:33 30 May 08

I'm interested to hear which anti-spyware/malware software you recommend. Reviews are useful in a way, but when it comes to the crunch I don't think you can beat personal experiences.

I'm after the best - cost isn't a consideration, but effectiveness and stability is of paramount importance.

Totally-braindead 16:10 30 May 08

I just use the freebies so cost isn't an issue. Personally I like Superantispyware.

Since I have never had a malware problem its differcult for me to say if this program is better than anything else. It certainly seems to work as I have never been bothered. Seems stable enough, lets put it this way its never crashed or caused any sort of lock up or indeed any problems at all. It just removes the malware/spyware.

birdface 16:31 30 May 08

Very little on my computer.I prefer A squared its free and has 3 different scans.5 minutes. 20 minutes. and an hour.I have tried some of the rest but prefer A Squared.Any real deep problems and most go for Superantispyware.Which seems to be about the best of the rest.

RobCharles1981 16:52 30 May 08

I'm using

Avast and Comodo Firewall

Spyware Terminator
Spyware Blaster

A-Squared
Super Antispyware
Spybot

I'm thinking of getting rid of Spybot because for me it doesn't pick up anything and replacing it with something else.

sunny staines 17:11 30 May 08

i dont think there is a best just like asking about cars.

i like using superantispyware if has fixed upteen computers never fails.

spybot for a weekly wednesday scan.

CCleaner gets rid of the tracking cookie build up.

i used to run loads of these programs but since going to vista just keep to above 3.

MAT ALAN 17:11 30 May 08

Super Antispyware, Asquared, ccleaner

AVG8, Zonealarm free

coupled with NOT pointing my PC anywhere nafarious, anybody out there that cannot resist just looking where they really shouldn't are gonna use the above on a more regular basis...

961 17:12 30 May 08

For some time I've had three programmes, two free and one paid for

Spybot search and destroy and Spywareblaster seem to block malware sites without taking up much in the way of computer resource. Both update fairly regularly and claim to immunize your computer from the nasties in their database. Both are free

Spyware Doctor costs around £15 per annum, although the PCTools site asks for $30 for a three computer version. Be aware that their agent is located in Eire and they will seek to charge you 22% VAT unless you raise the roof about it

This programme updates daily and can initially pick up a load of nasties when you first install it. After that it occasionally finds stuff but most seem to be blocked. It claims to protect effectively against key logging etc and reviews do seem to rate it highly

On the basis that I have had no trouble in this direction while these have been installed I can only say that they work for me. They are however supplemented by an effective firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) and Avast free virus software

I should also confess to being fairly careful about which sites I visit and which e-mails I open

flyboy 17:20 30 May 08

Outpost Firewall (Paid version), has a built in real time anti-spyware mod.

I run weekly checks using

Free Spyware Blaster,
Free Super Antispyware,
Free Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

and Free Adaware2007.

Have not found any thing untoward.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:20 30 May 08

I've used AVG free for years and until I bought a wireless router (1.5 years ago) I never used a firewall. I do have a firewall on the router now though. In all this time I have never picked up a virus or anything else come to think of it, in spite of the occasional scan by SuperAntiSpyware which I do once every six months. I scan with AVG once a year just to keep it feeling 'wanted'.

G

Forum Editor 19:23 30 May 08

does anyone use the Pro version, and if so, is the $30 price worth the difference?

mrwoowoo 20:27 30 May 08

Just bought NOD32 anti virus and anti spyware for £27.00 for a year.Find it very unintrusive and very light on system resources.I couldn't get on with AVG 8.0.
Super anti spyware(free) always finds what Syware terminator missed on a scan,though terminator is great for real time protection.
So now... NOD32,coupled with Super antispyware just to scan now and again to double check if NOD misses anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…