Which sound card? (Differences between X-Fi)

Gmax 18:58 25 Jul 08

I have been looking for a new sound card lately and I'm a bit stuck. I listen to a lot music and play quite a few games and I was wanting to know if anybody can tell me the differences between the following sound cards (or a better one in the same price range)

Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer Soundcard Retail (£61.09)

Creative SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic OEM (£57.79)

both of these where found at Novatech

click here

I think that the XtremeMusic may be the better here but I am a bit unsure about sound cards. I also run a vista pc and have heard that there are problems with X-Fi cards. If so have these problems been fixed by the latests drivers.

Many thanks in advance

Pine Man 19:24 25 Jul 08

Read this Creative forum and you'll never buy a Creative sound card again if you are using Vista!!

Pine Man 19:25 25 Jul 08
  Mr Mistoffelees 17:31 26 Jul 08

I think it has long been the case that Creative are hopeless when it comes to keeping drivers up to date.

Esc4p3 12:21 27 Jul 08

No arguments with Pine Man here from a Vista+Creative owner. In answer to your question though, I think the gamer version of the x-fi has more support for EAX games effects than the music version. I have the ExtremeAudio version and it does pump out really good sound on my 5.1 sound setup when playing both Games and music, but you have to be aware that Creative's driver support is flawed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now