Which slide scanner for 4000+ 35mm slides?

Blackbird-Viesa 13:57 03 Jun 09

I need to provide advice on which slide scanner to purchase but have no expertise in this field.

This must be a purchase rather than a service solution as the user wants to invest in a product for future ad-hoc use.

The primary job is to scan some of 4000+ 35mm slides (at high res) from several decades ago so ICE technology is a must. The scanner will also need to scan film - but the focus is the slides.

The budget is anywhere from £1k - £2.5k, but the focus should be on quality and speed. The user doesnt want to load batches of 12 slides every few minutes and would prefer a Carousel/feeder add-on if such a thing exists - perhaps to scan batches in 50s or 100s ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Woolwell 17:24 03 Jun 09

I am not sure about scanning several at a time at high res quickly. This sounds mutually exclusive in that each slide when scanned will create a fairly large file and these have to be passed to the PC. However my experience is limited to home use scanning 4 at a time and doing nearly 2000 slides (some 40 years old). It took some time especially as many then had to have colour and other corrections as age had not been kind to them.

Rigga 17:24 03 Jun 09

look at the Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED and add the Nikon SF 210 Scanner automatic slide feeder.

Expensive but does what you want within your budget.

HTH. R.

Woolwell 17:26 03 Jun 09

Delete my comment having read about the Nikon. Wish I could afford/justify it.

Rigga 17:34 03 Jun 09

sry forgot links.

Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED > click here <

Nikon SF 210 Scanner > click here <

The feeder attaches to the scanner to scan 50 slides in one go.

Or as an alternative and a lot cheaper, but no 50 slides at a time function, only 12, but which has very good reviews, try the Epson Perfection V750 Pro > click here <

HTH. R.

Terry Brown 21:01 03 Jun 09

I have built my own scanner as I had 3.5mm and 2" slides to do, I have done these and also some or local friends.

This consists of a thin board with a cutout the size of the slide, lit by a backlight.
This is then snapped by digital camera at close range (17mm) using a digital camera st on Flower mode.

You will need to make a frame to hold the slide in position while it is being taken.

If you are interested, I could put your slides on a DVD in unedited format for £3:00 per hundred.

You would have to pay for the cost of posting the slides to me and the return postage.

You can then reload them onto your hard drive and edit in any photo editing software (google Picassa is ideal and free)

This is to cover the cost of the batteries and wear and tear on the camera.

If you are interested I can email you a few of the ones I have done, and you can judge for yourself.
Terry

jack 08:26 04 Jun 09

There is more than one way of doing things
Commonly a flatbed scanner with a 'Light in Lid' feature is one way to go. Some have auto feed arrangement to run through a 'stack', other scan 'four mounted slide up' plus film strip.
Epson do an extensive selection for example.
A dedicated slide scanner from say Minolta or click here

Similar seen in newspaper 'Readers Offer' ads
The latter I am told are of indifferent quality but Ok for 6x4 prints,
And the digital camera idea is worth investigating if you are a DIY'er
I have built such an item- but despite the camera being a 'High End' SLR- a digital scanner is the better bet,
A word of advice however - the supplied software with any scanner will cope with slide or negative colour or B/W- the after scan processing time will be considerable per image, very often the images can be 20/30 Mb.
A powerful image editor -such as Paint Shop Pro[ for example] is a must to get the best from the images

Blackbird-Viesa 09:06 04 Jun 09

Many thanks for all your help... (Rigga) I kept arriving at the Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED and the Nikon SF 210 Scanner through my own search - is this the one to go with or are there any other serious competitors?

(Terry) Thanks, but as mentioned in the post, I need a purchase solution, not a service solution.

(Woolwell) Time isnt too much of an issue when scanning, it's more that the user doesnt want to spend a lot of time loading and unloading a handful of slides each time. The ideal scenario is to load a batch of 50 and then just let them run!

(Jack) I cant remember which model, but we did have a 4x slide scanner from Minolta previously and want to stay away from them as we were extremely disappointed with speed and build quality of the product.

(All) We're running one machine on Vista and another will have the new OS when its released. We have USB and firewire connectivity plus plenty of storage - so this shouldnt be an issue... are they any other serious contenders to the Nikon?

jack 10:22 04 Jun 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac