Which should I buy?

naomonster 22:47 19 Aug 09

I'm a student who needs a new laptop capable of 3d modelling.
I've priced 3 laptops that I'm interested in and am completely clueless as to which to buy.
Which should I choose?

1) Sony VGN-NW11SS £749.99
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6500
(2.1Ghz, 800Mhz, 2MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
4GB Memory
320GB Hard drive
Up to 2 hours battery life
Webcam
ATI Radeon 512mb graphics
Bluetooth connectivity
HDMI connectivity

2) Acer 5536-744G £499.99
AMD Turion processor RM-74
(2.2Ghz, 1MB Cache)
4GB Memory
500GB Hard drive
Up to 3 hours battery life
Webcam
Dolby Home Theatre

3) Compaq Presario CQ60-430SA £429.99
AMD Turion processor RM72
(2.1Ghz, 1MB Cache)
4GB Memory
250GB Hard drive
Up to 2 hours battery life
Nvidia GeForce 1GB graphics
HDMI connectivity

OTT_Buzzard 23:43 19 Aug 09

For 3D modelling, you are going to need to know a lot more about the graphics card specifications.

Other than that, on any of them, a 64bit operating system will give a slight performance boost, if the rest of your software is compatible.

What software are you using for modelling? And how big are the files you intend to model?

naomonster 00:11 20 Aug 09

The software programmes I'll be using are 3dsmax and SketchUp. But I won't be using them on a day-to-day basis.
Mostly I'll be using AutoCAD and the Adobe Creative Suite.
Filesize is usually moderate enough I think.

Bit clueless about this stuff, what would be a 64bit OS?

The Sony has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 GPU
Not sure about the Acer.. think it was another ATI
The Compaq has an NVIDIA GEFORCE 8200M

OTT_Buzzard 01:06 20 Aug 09

Using the software that you are you're not going to get blindng performance from any laptop costing less than double your most expensive option :(

However, out of those options, the grpahics card and processor combination fron the Sony give it a competitive edge over the other two.

The 64 bit operating system; in short sharp terms (and relevant to you!), allows the operating system to use all of the RAM in your system. 'Normal' 32 bit operating system have a cap at around 3.0GB RAM usage, anything above that isn't fully used. click here for more info.

If it isn't offered with the laptop then it's worth asking about before you buy. Also check for Windows 7 upgrade offers - it will be supplied as standard with 32 bit and 64 bit on the same disc so you can shose which to install.

You won't gain massive performace out of it, but anything you can get will be worth it. 64 bit OS's don't cost any more than standard versions, and are no different to use. Check compatibility with your software and existing peripherals before you go down that route. I've checked recent versions of 3ds and autocad before and they work just fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…