Which Printer For Uni?

mobad 19:31 15 Oct 04

I need a printer that I can use to print out my lecture notes. I need one that can handle print outs for more then 300+ pages per month I have a budjet of £200.

Can any 1 recomend me anything please?

Sir Radfordin 20:36 15 Oct 04

Spend less thatn £80 on a personal laser printer (HP/Samsung/Brother to name a few) and it will be money well spent. If you need to do lots of color printing invest in an inkjet to suit your needs, otherwise live in hope the Uni will, somewhere, have a color printer you can make use of.

t.long 21:17 15 Oct 04

As a former student I understand your situation. I was lucky at my uni we had good computer/printing facilities, and printing was free. I agree with Sir Radfordin a cheaper laser will be a good investment, inkjets may look attractive with low prices but the cost of media, and the low capacity of cartridges will cost you a lot in the long run both in terms of money on cartridges, and time and stress as you run out to the PC superstore to buy a cartridge on the morning your assignments are due because you have run out.

You should only need a colour printer if you are a media type student, but then chances are your Uni will have far better colour printers than your £200 can get you. Even if you do find you need colour then spending £100 or so on a laser and the rest on a colour may be the best way forward.

Belatucadrus 23:51 15 Oct 04

click here for similar posting and recommendations

mobad 06:05 16 Oct 04

how much are the ink refill and where can I buy them from, for this printer?

Belatucadrus 11:45 16 Oct 04

click here for complete toner / drum cartridge.

click here for toner refills, aim for 3 to 4 refills per cartridge, at this point the drum is likely to be getting a bit worn, and the print quality will begin to drop.

wee eddie 12:07 16 Oct 04

Make sure that it is a multi-tank model.

Print in Ink-Save Mode or whatever the manufacturer calls it.

Consider changing print colour from black to grey.

Look at the cost of paper you use. The cheapest paper can save you a lot, but if you are adding pictures to your text, cheap paper will look dull or washed out, so you will have to up the quality of the paper you use for any pictures that you are going to show to anyone else.

Do remember to back up your work to a safe medium! I know that is nothing to do with a printer, but about three years back one of my students lost about half of her Thesis.

mobad 14:08 16 Oct 04

Just searched ebuyer for refills for the Samsung Model 1510.

Apparantly there are no refils, just toners avaliable?

Neutered 15:57 16 Oct 04

Have recently bought this printer (£149). It is an inkjet and has a black and tri-colour cartridge. It also has slots for various digital photo cards. Have used it extensively, and the quality is excellent. Have yet to replace the cartridges, so I can't give replacement costs. Happy hunting!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…