Which PC?

ourkid77 17:57 13 Feb 07

Hi

I am looking to buy a PC mainly for gaming (Call of Duty etc) and internet use and have a budget of around £650

I have been doing some looking around and have identified the below two options. Can anyone please advise which of the two they feel is the best or can advise of any superior alternatives?

Novatech

nForcer 4200

AMD Athlon X2 4200 Dual Core 64 Bit Processor
1024MB PC5400 667Mhz DDR Ram
320GB Serial ATA II HardDrive
nVidia 7600GT 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card
16x Dual Layer +R/-R/RW DVD burner
Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio
1 x Gigabit LAN
Microsoft Wireless Optical Keyboard & Mouse
Windows Vista Home Premium

£592 inc VAT

For details - click here+

Power Computing

Power Gamer 4200+ X2 Dual Core AM2 Tower System

AMD Athlon 64 4200+ X2 Dual Core Socket AM2,
Palit GeForce 7900GS 512MB DDR3 (Dual Dual-Link DVI, Dual VGA, SLI, HDTV out),
Samsung 320GB Serial ATA II 16MB cache,
1GB DDR2 533 240-pin,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium OEM (32-bit),
built-in audio

£689.90 inc VAT

For details - click here

Do you feel it is worth the extra £100 for the upgraded grahics card and PSU on the system from Power PC. I have contacted Novatech about upgrading the graphics card and PSU on their model however they advise that as they are assembled on a production line they cannot make any changes to the spec.

The Brigadier 18:38 13 Feb 07

Novatech.
Good support & customer service.

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 13 Feb 07

If you go for Novatech (which I'm all for), I'd suggest you buy the OS seperate - that way you will get the full CD - otherwise you just get a restore disk

Totally-braindead 19:21 13 Feb 07

You'd have to work it out yourself, the 512mb 7900GS is about £50 more expensive than the 256mb 7600GT. It depends on whether the power supply is worth £50 extra as well.
Other thing to consider is that Novatech have an excellent reputation for after sales service I do not know if powerPC is as good.
Its a shame Novatech couldn't upgrade as I personally would really prefer to use them.
I would go for the Novatech one since I think so highly of their aftersales support.

ourkid77 19:34 13 Feb 07

Hi, thanks for the advice so far

I have also found this sysyem on Cougar Extreme who seem to have an ok reputation on this forum

Gamers Athlon Dual Core 8800 (AMD Dual Core X2 4200 AM2 64 , 300GB SATA Hard Drive , 1024MB DDR2 MEMORY (667) , 8800GTS Nvidia DDR DVI 640MB , CD Re-Writer & DVD Player combi , Floppy Drive , Intergrated Sound Card , Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (home) )

This comes in at £686 and in this instance the graphics card is obviously far superior and is Direct X10 compatible so is somewhat future proof??, I am unsure on the PSU however it does state that this is matched to the spec of the machine (would need to confirm this).

I realise it is ultimately up to what I want from the machine however I am not really clued up to what I need to run the top games etc. and how soon i would need to upgrade any of the above systems.

P.S. I will definitely look at buying the OS seperately as I did not realise that you are not provided with the CD otherwise :o

Europa 21:07 14 Feb 07

I wouldn't go for Window Vista Basic, I would go at least for Window Vista Premium, and why not consider an Intel Core 2 Duo?
click here
Having 2GB memory is a good thing, especially with window vista.
When I bought my Novatech PC at the beginning of this year, I had the full window XP CD, not a "restaure" CD. If you want to go for a Novatech, I would contact them beforehand and ask them if they include the full vista CD with their systems, they might, you never know.
Use their live chat on the Novatech website, they answer within 30 seconds most of the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…