Which Netbook?

Nick052 22:12 31 Jan 11

Hi,

I am about to buy a new Netbook to accompany my aging laptop which doesn't work without the power.

Anyway I am torn between these two:

click here

click here

Which one would you recommend? The XP one is £30 dearer but has an amazing battery by the looks of it. Or am I better sticking with Windows 7?

Forum Editor 01:05 01 Feb 11

are supplied with Windows XP - at least that's what it says in the product descriptions.

My personal choice would be the Acer.

Nick052 12:24 01 Feb 11

Thanks - never spotted that. It seems Currys have either sold out already or noticed they have put conflicting information in the title/product description, because the product is no longer available.

As a general rule, is Windows XP the best operating system to run on a Netbook?

chub_tor 16:47 01 Feb 11

Having purchased a notebook with Windows Starter and 1Gb of RAM my opinion would be that XP is a much better operating system for a notebook. That said, if you are prepared to spend the extra money to upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium with an extra 1Gb RAM you will have a very useful machine and one capable of using the latest software.

Nick052 19:20 01 Feb 11

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

That one for £169.99 is back in stock now and is Windows 7 and not XP.

So it's whether I spend £30 more and go for the XP one, but then this isn't as good-a-make as the Windows 7 emachines one.

Decisions decisions. What would you do?

chub_tor 21:31 01 Feb 11

I would still go with the FE suggestion of the Acer and replace the 1Gb with a 2Gb DDR2 memory that you can buy for around 25 pounds. When you can afford it you can do a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Home Premium which if memory serves me right is about 60 pounds.

Nick052 22:14 01 Feb 11

Yep have taken that advice and bought the Acer.

Will upgrade the memory if I feel it's a bit slow as it's so cheap - it will only be used for casual internet browsing mainly, so I probably won't be upgrading Windows 7..

Thanks for the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…