which of my USB ports is USB 2.0?

sheila.weston 17:32 22 Sep 06

Is there a way of telling what type a USB port is? I have four on a plate which includes connections for various peripherals and two on a separate 'plate. I assume that the latter are USB 2.0, but how can I check?

Under 'USB Controllers', Device Manager shows;
Generic USB Hub
3x sis 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
1x PCI to USB enhanced Host Controller
USB Composite device
USB Mass Storage Device [I think this is a newly purchased external DVD writer, which requires a USB 2 connection?]
4 x USB Root Hubs

Presumably the USB Root Hubs are 1.0?? Can I check this?

Thanks for any Help.

brundle 17:41 22 Sep 06

`USB enhanced Host Controller` indicates at least some of the ports are USB2, plug your DVD writer in to each port - ports that recognise it are USB2, ports that don't are USB1.1

Diemmess 17:44 22 Sep 06

There should be a line....
UBB 2.0 Root hub

I notice you have a PCI to USB enhanced host controller. Depending on how old the card and the computer it might be only USB1

You don't say which version of Windows you are running. If W98 you need the drivers to run USB2 on that card (2 or4) ports at its back.
If you are using XP or 2000 the drivers are already in the o/s but the card might not be USB2

Diemmess 18:23 22 Sep 06

By the way,
Most so called USB 2 devices will work on USB 1.0 ports but external HDs in particular work very slowly!

sheila.weston 10:48 24 Sep 06

Yes, I *think* I know which are the USB 2 ports, but would like to know for certain. The external DVD writer seems to work on both sets but, even on the port which I thought was 2.0 I got an I/O error message, although I have copied data to five DVD-DLs befor this happened. (yes, I *have* found m/s's page on these error messages by doing a GOOGLE search).

I use windows XP on a mesh computer coming up to four years old. It has two HDs and I have had three replacement HDs plus other work during a recent overhall.

The sis 7001s are Firewire, presumably?

Diemmess 10:58 24 Sep 06

Maybe the USB drivers slightly corrupted?

I'm hesitant to recommend this, but threads in the past often suggest deleting all references to USB in Device Manager, rebooting and allowing Windows to find and install automatically the correct drivers once more.

Not wishing to make things worse I'd be happier if somone else confimed this as a reasonable thing to do, before you try it.

patsyanne 20:15 24 Sep 06

Diemmess,Yes that worked for me,but you have to keep the computer off after you do that and keep your finger on the "on" button for 45 seconds then switch electric back on, start up computer and you have drivers back on .

sheila.weston 09:26 25 Sep 06

Many thanks, both. I'll make a note of this, but not make any changes for the moment.

Can you clarify, please: Go to Device Manager,;delete everything under USB controllers *including* the line about 3 x sis [?]; turn off pc in the usual way; turn on pc. keeping finger on the on button for about 45 sec's; then remove finger and pc starts up in usual way. I am not sure what you mean about 'switch electric back on'?

Also, there won't be any other references to the USB hub anywhere else in Device Manager, will there?

Diemmess 09:33 25 Sep 06

In Device Manager USB controllers are at the bottom of the list.
To disable you may have to display them all first and then work through the list.

When you have done that, I would simply shut down, wait say 15 seconds to give everthing time to stop spinning and then start up again as you would any day.

sheila.weston 17:25 25 Sep 06

Thanks, Diemmess - I'll mark this thread as resolved as it seems that there isn't a specific way to check which slot is USB 2.0. And I'll keep the reinstallation idea in mind in case of need.

Diemmess 19:24 25 Sep 06

I don't know a proper way to check which version of USB is available at which socket.

An unscientific approach if you have an external HD AND two or more internal drives is to copy a large file between separate internal drives and time how long it takes.
(I say separate HDs because I think copying to another folder on the same disk is only a matter of changing the path and seems to take very little time at all)

Then try copying the same file between an internal and the external HD. It will be slower even on USB 2, but USB 1 will seem to take forever!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…