Which multifunction printer/scanner/copier to buy?

catmaidmarion 18:19 11 Jan 05

I work for a small charity and we are looking to replace our IT equipment. We feel that an all in one printer etc would be more space effective, but need to watch our costs very carefully. Has anyone any recommendations or any ideas where I can get comparisons on running costs please?

spuds 18:40 11 Jan 05

I would suggest that you look at Epson for running cost values, with HP as a second consideration. I use two mfd's, Lexmark and HP, both very good and reliable with good print qualities, but the Lexmark can get very thirsty with ink usage. Compatible print cartridges is the answer to that problem, but these can sometimes prove difficult to obtain for all models of the Lexmark and Dell printer range.

catmaidmarion 18:44 11 Jan 05

Thank you for the info. Do you know anything about Brother all in ones by any chance

bfoc 20:36 11 Jan 05

If you do not need colour, a laser based all-in-one should be much cheaper to run and would quickly repay the initial cost difference.

catmaidmarion 00:46 12 Jan 05

Thanks, but we need to be able to print in colour. I think HP are out of the equation because of the tri colour cartridges. I'll look into some laser all in ones and try to find another means of printing in colour

Cook2 01:52 12 Jan 05

Something like this click here

bfoc 09:00 12 Jan 05

To work out how much total cost of ownership will cost. If you are looking for a fairly detailed anaylsis of inkjet costs there was one in another mag. It showed that ink costs per page of black text varied from 2.1p for a Canon ip4000r to 4.1p for a Lexmark P915! The colour ink cost for a 6x4 photo varied from 13p for a Canon ip3000 to 47p for the Lexmark!

I don't believe any of these are all-in-ones, but it might be that some use the same printing 'engines'.

There is an online link, which doesn't seem to be working correctly at the moment, but in the hope that it does I'll give it anyway click here

spuds 12:56 12 Jan 05

A further suggestion that I would make, is that you contact someone like Viking Direct click here and ask about their best sellers for the smaller/medium office.On their suggestion you could possibly arrange a free 30-day trial, with other business incentives Viking offer.

I know that they have a clearance of mfd's going on at present, so perhaps something there could be of interest.If your charity is registered, then Viking may have a corporate scheme available, perhaps worth asking about!.

catmaidmarion 16:43 12 Jan 05

I checked out all the links (yes they all worked) and have put together a sheet based on all the findings to help me make my decision. We already deal with Viking for stationery and will get in touch with them regarding the free trial. Thanks to you all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…