Which motherboard upgrade?

Time to replace my 3 year old Epox motherboard currently running an Athlon XP 1700 cpu. But, with what? I am considering an Athlon 64 chip, 2.4ghz to get a bit of future proofing in so obviously need a Socket 939 board. I want a decent number of USB 2 sockets and firewire. It should support at least 2gb of RAM for video editing. My PC runs two hard drives and two DVD burners. I would prefer to use my existing PCI graphics and sound cards. Don't need any onboard sound although nearly all of them seem to have this. No preference for chipset although I've always leaned towards NVidia. Any suggestions from satisfied users please?

wags 14:39 11 Apr 05

I have just built a PC with an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard (socket 939) which was easy to set up and has loads of features, i.e 8 USB sockets, firewire, support for 4gig DDR etc.

I can recommend it and Asus are renowned for building quality boards. I bought mine from Ebuyer along with an AMD64 3500 Winchester CPU.

wags 14:44 11 Apr 05

sorry, I should have added, this is an AGP board. The reason I got it was because I wanted to re-utilise my 6800GT (AGP) graphics card. For more 'future proofing' you will probably want to go for a PCI Express board, in which case I know of several happy Asus A8N SLI Deluxe users click here

clayton 19:13 11 Apr 05

Im on my second Asus A8N SLI Deluxe board & just about to RMA it because of the onboard chipset fan, on the first motherboard it lasted about two weeks, this one a little longer two months.

Asus make very good boards shame they fitted a cheap fan on this one.
BTW Intel now have a 64bit processor

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…