Which? Magazine computer survey

nkosi 17:49 28 Sep 03

Don't know how many of you subscribe to Which? but the new issue makes interesting reading. The survey was of 8,000 readers and covered sales advice, support lines, reliability and whether you'd recommend the brand to a friend. I'll briefly show the results for the most common desktop brands mentioned in this forum.
Reliability: (Needed repair in last two years.)
Dell 13%, HP 17%, Compaq 17%, Advent 18%, Time 20%, Mesh 23%, Evesham 25%.
Support: (Said support line was 'Good'.)
Evesham 45%, Dell 39%, Compaq 39%, HP 36%, Advent 19%, Mesh 33%, Time 21%.
Would you recommend to a friend?: (Definitely.)
Dell 70%, Evesham 63%, HP 45%, Mesh 45%, Compaq 44%, Advent 20%, Time 14%.
Twice being an Evesham customer, and a fan, I was a bit disappointed by the reliability results. Even if their support is excellent it doesn't make up for the loss of your time sorting out problems and time off work waiting for engineers. I might buy my next machine from a local workshop - at least I can take it back and collect it at my convenience. Don't suggest I build my own! I really don't have the time! Ian

spuds 23:00 28 Sep 03

With reports like these, things can be a little misleading at times. Various manufacturers can turn out thousands of one particular machine, for a certain niche in the market.The more you have in circulation, could turn the scales either way on a survey sheet, in respect of a good or bad percentage points.

Forum Editor 23:36 28 Sep 03

I wasn't aware that it was available yet - even the press copies must only just be out, and they'll be embargoed for story use for a few days. I must make a note to have a word with the Which press office in the morning. How did you come by this information as a matter of interest?

carver 06:24 29 Sep 03

I had my copy on friday.

nkosi 15:02 29 Sep 03

I'm just an ordinary subscriber and it dropped through the letterbox as usual. I couldn't say if it was early or not as I never notice the date. I guess I got a scoop! Ian.

Jack D 16:22 29 Sep 03

I got mine last week.

bfoc 18:27 29 Sep 03

Could it be that if support is good, helpful and not too expensive people are more likely to ring it and report a more minor fault?

I'm a subscriber to Which and no sign of my mag yet!

malgall 19:32 29 Sep 03

i have always used local independant shops and have found them reliable willing to help with any problems and you buy the computer you want
to your exact specs .
you may pay more than from companys like dell
but then no corners will be cut.

my which turned up friday.

S5W 20:10 29 Sep 03

I wouldn't take too much notice of Which Magazine reports, they are generally shallow and take very little account of such useful facets as longevity, ease of maintenance and customer service. Their organisation is not independant of some of the manufacturers upon whom they report.

Patr100 21:05 29 Sep 03

"Their organisation is not independant of some of the manufacturers upon whom they report. "

So which computer manufacturers do they have a dependent relationship with?

mikef. 22:42 29 Sep 03

S5W that is a totally unwarranted and inaccurate comment, the Consumer Association, the publishers of ?WHICH, are totally independent testers, the survey was carried out by polling members, I was one of the ones selected.

Maybe you are getting confused by some of the magazines used by the electrical stores who have a similar name, I wonder why!!, who trade on the CA's reputation but who are in fact linked to manufacturers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…