Which Linux version to go for?

johndere 11:09 29 Aug 06

So many versions out their to choose from, any views on which version for a Linux newbie to get?

Chers.

silverous 12:44 29 Aug 06

I'm not sure it matters too much. Just get one, see how you get on with it, then maybe look at others if you find something 'missing'

smilealot 12:51 29 Aug 06

Hello john,
My knowledge is only new like yours. However PcAdvisor recommended we try click here.
I did this and wasted alot of time and cd's downloading from there website. Only to find that the download version doesnt have a automatic partition commander. This in itself if your a linux newb, is a major headache. Better to apply for the free cd they offer to send you. The wait time is not nearly as long as predicted.
Also whilst waiting i decided to download a more popular version "red hat", which brought more fruitful exploit's. If you decide this use the better download method of bittorrent.
The joy's of linuxing after install, i shall leave to you.
Goodluck.

DieSse 14:16 29 Aug 06

Xandros is particularly "friendly" to Windows users.

There's a free download version, which instally very easily as a "dual-boot" with WinXP, and allows you to access your existing information on the XP partitions. Personally I find Ubuntu nowhere near as simple or friendly - just my opinion though.

OpenSuse also looks as if it will be very good - but it didn't recognise my DHCP server, so I didn't persevere.

DieSse 14:18 29 Aug 06

PS - Freespire, the new free version of Linspire is also worth a look. I'm still having a play with that.

tenplus1 14:32 29 Aug 06

The best and easiest version of linux to try is Ubuntu Linux ( click here ) which comes in 3 different flavours for Gnome, KDE and XFCE front-ends...

It is very easy to install and use, comes with almost everything you need to get up and running from web, multimedia and office suites, and it's very easy to upgrade and install new software from the FREE software repository...

cyberping 14:38 29 Aug 06

Try Ubuntu at click here and they will send you a free copy on a CD. This can be used either as a "Live" CD without installing anything on your PC or to copy to your harddrive.

silverous 16:19 29 Aug 06

Loks like ubunto is a common thread although I'm not surprised to get different recommendations.

Diodorus Siculus 16:22 29 Aug 06

Take a look at OpenSUSE - an excellent package
click here

dth 16:30 29 Aug 06

Another vote for Ubuntu here. You can try it as a 'live cd'. This makes sense as it runs from the cd drive (without altering any of your windows settings and you can see whether your hardware is going to work ok.

If you like the look of it - you can then install it. The kde (kool desktop environment) version kununtu is the better one for me. Computer Active magazine have recently published a guide to Linux - which is based on Kunutu - that is pretty good.

robgf 20:51 29 Aug 06

Hi,
Not sure that I would recommend Ubuntu, as the first Linux to try, it can be a pain to set up, if it doesn't recognise all your hardware. And the documentation is patchy.

Freespire is a good choice for a full size Linux distro, easy to use, with good hardware detection: click here
Make sure you get the regular version, not the OSS version.

If you just want to try Linux without any risk, try Puppy Linux, it's a mini Linux (40 to 70Mb), but still has lots of features. It can run from CD/DVD and save data back to the disc, It can also run from a USB drive, or HD. And it will run on a modest spec computer, many of the full Linux distros need a higher spec than XP.
click here

Rob. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5