which laptop for business use - £600 max

nhojnhoj35 00:13 04 May 06

Hi,
A common question I know but I don`t know one laptop from another really and as I have finally persuaded my IT Manager that,
a) I need a Laptop and
b) I am going to buy it myself then i dont have to wait 6 weeks for him to get it,
the last thing I want is to buy a real turkey and look like a right numpty. lol.

My top line is around £600 and it is for business use so I guess the important things are a good amount of RAM, a built in network card (do they all have these now?), built in WIFI and a fair number of USB connections.

Theres a TOSHIBA - INTEL PENTIUM M 740 at PC World for £599 but its not in my nature to buy things without worrying it to death and I dont really have time to do that in this case!!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Charence 00:59 04 May 06

This looks quite nice
click here

wjrt 01:39 04 May 06

click here

inspiron 6400 latest dual core processor and 1gb memory slightly above your limit at £629 but as good as you will get at moment remember to downgrade warranty to one year collect and return

wee eddie 07:47 04 May 06

Giving the Government extra VAT is mildly bonkers.

There is no reason why your Purchasing cannot pick up the phone and order whichever product you wish, they do that with paper goods every day of the week, and up your budget by £100.00 which is the VAT which will be saved.

nhojnhoj35 08:57 04 May 06

@ wee eddie, sorry I wasnt specific on that point.

I will buy it with my company credit card but i want to get it myself as our IT Manager is a typical IT Manager if you know what I mean.
no time to do anything!

nhojnhoj35 09:45 04 May 06

I customised the Dell Inspiron as follows and would be glad of a second opinion....

1.66GHz processor
XP Pro instead of Home
Downgrade to 1yr collect & return warranty
1024MB RAM (included in price)
60GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
DVD combo drive
9 cell battery
Wireless router (is it wise to have an ADSL modem installed for an extra £20?)

with free delivery & a nylon carry case thats £668 which sounds pretty good!!

only thing Im not sure about is the sound card which shows an upgrade from a trial to a full version. is this some kind of software upgrade? sounds unneccessary?

nhojnhoj35 10:01 05 May 06

would be grateful for a 2nd opinion on this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…