Which laptop?

ascholar 14:49 06 Apr 05

I need help. I'm looking to spend around £1000 on a laptop but with so many out there.... slightly confused about which one to get. Narrowed it down to 2, Sony VGN-FS195VP and AJP Z71V. Very similar spec apart from the graphics, which for me is important.

Does anyone out there know about these laptops or have different makes which may interest me? I would be grateful for any help this forum can give me.

Charence 15:37 06 Apr 05

The graphics card in the AJP seems to be better. It is also using a PCI Express slot which is meant to be much faster than an AGP slot.

It depends what your needs for laptop are, if you're going to be playing games or watching movies, the AJP may be a better choice.

Jdoki 15:38 06 Apr 05

If graphics are important to you then the Sony is the way to go, it's got the Nvidia 6200 Go chipset with 128MB, which I believe, knocks the socks off the AJP's integrated Intel graphics.

Plus you get the awesome build quality of Sony.

Charence 15:50 06 Apr 05

Are you sure about integrated Intel graphics?

click here for AJP Z71V specs.

It says its got PCI Express nVidia GeForce Go 6600 which doesn't seem to me like onboard graphics.

ascholar - check before you purchase that you are not buying onboard graphics if it is important to you.

Jdoki 15:09 07 Apr 05

Well spotted. Got my specs from a Google search, no mention of the Nvidia graphics there :(

I'd still recommend the Sony, but that's mainly personal experience of using Sony laptops rather than any feature that beats the AJP.

One thing I have noticed with Sony laptops (and their TFT screens) is they appear to have a coating that makes them a bit shinier than other screens, which can cause a slightly annoying glare under some lighting conditions.

Maturin 11:15 08 Apr 05

Am also interested in a laptop. But looking at things from a different angle:

What do think is a "good" price for a notebook with Sonoma/centrino techonology, 512MB RAM, graphics card and 60GB HDD and a decent (at least 2 year warranty)? Am I too greedy to think I should be able to get such a package for < £800 (inc VAT)? If not, how does one choose from say AJP, Novatech etc.

fitcher 11:37 08 Apr 05

why not look at laptop reviews , I looked for one with a good proccessor and a top end graphics card .I thought, to fit a larger hard drive is a simple job ,so I was not influenced by that, also a quality screen ,look on the forums some interesting ones on sceens .

Charence 12:18 08 Apr 05

there's this click here - £624.26 but warranty doesn't meet your requirements.

£701 - click here again with 1 year warranty only

£740.20 - click here 1 year warranty

click here& and click here 3 year warranty only £99 extra.

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…