Which Hard Disk Manufacturer?

Muckle 23:06 01 May 05

I am going to buy a new 200gb disk and don't know which make to buy. A techie at work says don't touch maxtors, but I have used them for years with no problems - has anyone got any views or factual experience?

Advice on speed and buffer would also be gratefully accepted (it will be an IDE drive).

powerless 23:10 01 May 05

I'm sure if you choose any drive you will not be disapointed.

I use WD's myself and can't fault them.

Speed: 7200RPM

Buffer: 8MB

HXP 02:51 02 May 05

I have a Western Digital HDD 7 years old still going strong on a spare machine, a maxtor 4 yrs old on my son's PC.

My new machine has a SATA drive by Maxtor which at 160 gb is big & fast although can't tell the difference with non SATA drives.

Don't know if that helps ......

jack 08:46 02 May 05

Look up the mainstream makers sites and specs
Maxtor/WD/Seagate/IBM/ etc.,
Pick a spec then go shopping All the useual places mentioned here - On the Web of course.

Diodorus Siculus 09:30 02 May 05

click here

Maxtor DiamondMax 10

COMPANY: Maxtor PRICE: £60(£70 inc VAT); Price per gb 30p (35p inc VAT).

Code: 10278941

RATING: 5/5 ISSUE: 127 DATE: Mar 05

Verdict: Excellent value for money, incredibly quiet and a savastore.comfine performer too. If you're only going to upgrade one part of your PC, buy this hard disk.
View Spec Table

It's very tempting to make a buying decision based on price alone, especially when it comes to hard disks: surely, you just divide the price of the disk by the capacity and opt for the lowest price per gigabyte? If you followed this process, you'd be split between the DiamondMax 10 and the Western Digital Caviar SE, and with prices changing every week it's anyone's guess which would win by this criteria. However, even if the Caviar was 5p cheaper per gigabyte, we'd still opt for the DiamondMax.

The main reason is quietness. We measured 28.8dBA when the Maxtor was seeking, compared to 31.6dBA for the Caviar. As the dBA scale is logarithmic, this makes the difference bigger than it appears.

The second reason is speed, with the DiamondMax 10 proving to have a slight advantage in our suite of tests. The DiamondMax 10 looks good on paper too. Quite apart from a Serial ATA interface, the data density stands at 100GB per platter (there's also a 300GB model available, but it costs 36p per GB) and buffer size is a mighty 16MB. One of the other notable features is NCQ (Native Command Queuing). Maxtor isn't shouting about NCQ as much as Seagate, but it all adds up to make this a quick disk.

This is despite a seek time of just 10.13ms, higher than Maxtor's claimed time of 9ms and the slowest on show for internal disks. Amazingly, the 16MB buffer outweighed this disadvantage and the DiamondMax 10 proved to be the third-fastest disk behind the Seagate 7200.8 and somewhat incomparable Raptor in most tests.

Its average STR (sustained transfer rate) was a creditable 53.9MB/sec. For reading and writing large files, only the Raptor and Seagate 7200.8 were quicker, and when reading small files the Maxtor stole the lead. Its Achilles heel was writing small files, where it was by far the slowest internal disk at just 2.4MB/sec.

This won't be noticeable for most day-to-day use, though, and the fact that the DiamondMax 10 was again third fastest in our Photoshop test proves the point rather well. Using BootVis, we timed the boot into Windows at 29.5 seconds - about the same as the Raptor.

Our only note of caution is that, as with all the internal disks here, we advise some dedicated cooling: the Maxtor became very warm to the touch after being put through our tests.

But this is its only real flaw. It's fast, it's quiet and the 200GB version of the Plus 10 is simply astonishing value at 30p per gigabyte.

961 11:40 02 May 05

I have always used Seagate because, first, I've not had one fail, and, second, their software for transferring from one (old) disk to the new one is so easy to use

CurlyWhirly 11:42 02 May 05

I also use a Western Digital hard drive with 8mb cache and 7200 RPM spin speed.
No trouble with it so far (touch wood)

Pooke100 11:51 02 May 05

My maxtor is noisy, 4 months old. Always has been, it's an average HDD noise but loud.
Thinks it's to do with my very heavy aluminium pc tower tho, sort of amplifies the sound.

My sister recently installed an 80gb Samsung drive into an old PC, very quiet!

Joe R 12:50 02 May 05

Muckle,

there was a thread not so long ago, about which type of hardware, develops problems first, and the hard drives were the most reliable of all.

I have used Seagate, Maxtor & Western Digital, and have never had a failure, in almost 10 years.

I am at this moment using a Maxtor plus10 SATA drive, and am very pleased with it's performance.

Different people tend to try and use the same company if they have had no problems, so i'm sure you will get recommendatios for most types, but I wouldn't be too worried over your choice, as stated before, they seem to be the most reliable hardware, in terms of durability and performance.

Aspman 13:45 02 May 05

I used to work at a school and we bough Maxtor disks by the 100's. We had a couple of DOA drives but not many at all. I use a Maxtor +9 drive at home.

I've used Seagate drives with no problems either, very quiet disks.

The only brand I wouldn't touch is IBM (now Hitachi) that was because of a range of IMB Deskstar (IBM Deathstars) drives which died by the dozen. They're probably ok now.

My be worth checking warranties. Some manufacturers offer 3yr other only 1yr.

sunny staines 16:26 02 May 05

with some products & services there is often one or two names that crop up as being poor, but I do not know of a HARD DRIVE that fits this group.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac