Which Freeview set up box?

rickf 09:21 18 Sep 10

My Philips box has died after 8 years. Looking for a new one next week when I am in London. What have you got and is it any good? Thinking of another Philips but would like experience of other brands. Thanks

chub_tor 09:49 18 Sep 10

I am a Humax fan, started with their basic set-top box many years ago, then changed to their Freeview PVR version (which I still have and use in the bedroom) and now have their FreeSat recordable version for HD. Check to see if Freeview HD is available in your area as I think that is a better option, unfortunately it doesn't get to my part of the West Country untio 2015.

Humax website click here

rickf 11:54 18 Sep 10

Thanks, I have been considering the Humax but they are expensive. I just want a basic but reliable one.Humax does not seem to make one w/o HD etc., Just want to wtach digital sometimes, especially News 24, Fiver. Five USA etc.,

rickf 11:58 18 Sep 10

On 2nd thought maybe it's worth the investment given the reviews

jimo64 14:39 18 Sep 10

i am a fan as well i use humax foxsat hdr , been very happy with it .great picture quality in normal or hd easy to use .

100andthirty 16:55 18 Sep 10

Try TVonics

click here

dms_05 12:11 19 Sep 10

I assume your TV is not widescreen or recent (as they all come with Freeview tuners nowadays). If you are considering a new TV with HD capability them the HD Freeview box is a serious solution, if you aren't them an HD box is expensive!

Humax are OK. I have a Humax 9300 PVR and that gives a reasonable picture (not as good as the Freeview tuner in my TV but acceptable).

Or just buy a £20 Freeview tuner from Tesco/ASDA etc. They will last a few years and at £20 aren't expensive!

rickf 16:23 19 Sep 10

Thanks folks for all the replies. I have a wide screen LCD TV but no Freeview. Bought 2/3 yrs ago and technology changed since then. Wide screens with Freeviews were very expensive then.

tigertop2 17:10 19 Sep 10

Check out Argos. I have bought two Freeview tuners from them recently and they cost about £15 each. They work perfectly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…