Which external hard drive enclosure?

Carafaraday 09:14 02 Aug 04

I am thinking of buying an external hard drive enclosure so I can use my old hard drive with my new pc - just to access old files, and for back-ups and storage of photos etc - so speed is not an issue.
Has anyone done this and what were the problems and pitfalls involved?
I have been looking at a Belkin F50209 which would support USB2 and firewire connections.
I am not too concerned about the look of the thing, as long as it is reasonable robust. The primary consideration is ease of installation.
I am running XP.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:24 02 Aug 04

There ar eplenty around the £19-£24 range. They all seem much of a muchness (I have bought 2). I got mine from Ebay for about £18 ea.

Carafaraday 09:31 02 Aug 04

Were there any problems involved in fitting the disk into the box? I am neither very pc literate nor very good with fiddly bits and pieces. Can a complete novice do something like this?

anchor 09:41 02 Aug 04

Have a look at this thread, it may help.

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:30 02 Aug 04

Fitting involves 4 screws (supplied) and ensuring the back connote of the HD matches the case connector. USB cables are usually supplied and drivers are not needed for XP.

Carafaraday 12:47 02 Aug 04

Do you mean it's virtually idiot proof?

Carafaraday 12:48 02 Aug 04

Anyone got any comments on this?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:21 02 Aug 04

Yes, anyone could do this as Powerless will testify ;-)))))

The 4 screws are just to hold the drive in place and the drive connects to a backplate by pushing it into position. It does not get any easier.

Carafaraday 13:39 02 Aug 04

Fine, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…