Which external DVD writer for my Netbook ??

RKMonty 19:52 06 Jan 11

I have a Samsung N145 netbook using Windows 7 starter edition.

Would be grateful if anyone could recommend an external DVD writer to be used with this netbook.

Have heard there maybe problems using a DVD writer with Windows 7 Starter edition.

Any advise greatfully received
Thanks

jack O'lantern 10:47 07 Jan 11

External device, as a problem with the operating syteem USB set up- so in my opinion which to buy is academic.
To quote an example.
I have two desk top machines one has only a CD reader,whilst the other has a DVD/CD read/writer.
I occasionally neeed to read/write a DVD on the one with out.
So this is what I did
Removed the Writer from the machine and invested in a USB/Cable and power supply -Approx £12
Set the device to Master and switch it between machines via the cable as required.[thus it became an extrernal device.
Both system are XP Pro.

bjh 14:49 07 Jan 11

I use a Lite-on eTAU108 with an HP netbook, with no problems. I haven't heard of any problems with Win 7 and external DVD, though that doesn't mean there aren't any. A few older external drives seem to be power-hungry, and this might just cause problems with a netbook.

jack O'lantern 17:40 07 Jan 11

This implies I think that those drives drew power from, the computers PSU via the USB.
If so endeavour to obtain a self power one
[Comes with a plug in power 'brick']

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced