Which Email Client? (anything but Outlook!)

pmjd 15:56 26 Jun 03

Hi there,

I am looking for a good email client for a small business were emails are the most important means of communication.

We are currently using Turnpike from Demon but will shortly be leaving them and are looking for something new.

It must be:
1) Able to import the mailboxes from Turnpike
2) Excellent at handling attachments
3) Not to susecptible to viruses
4) Easy to use

So MS Outlook is straight away out of the running because of 3.

I'l been looking around and saw a few interesting ones like "The Bat" and Eudora. Does anyone have any suggestions or have experience of those mentioned above?

Any comments would be great,
Cheers,
Paul

AndySD 16:17 26 Jun 03

click here is interesting to look at.

I suspect you will find 1) Able to import the mailboxes from Turnpike ... the hardest to fulfill I have only done this once to Outlook and it was a pain. I ended up having to get help from Demon..... but they were very good.

Sir Radfordin 16:32 26 Jun 03

Don't know how it will work in a business but Pegasus Mail is great :) click here

Falkyrn 22:33 26 Jun 03

Eudora is also an excellent product available from click here although it may not fit the bill regarding "Turnpike".

DieSse 22:48 26 Jun 03

Outlook is only susceptible to viruses if you let it be. You only need to download all the security patches, and run a good AV program (which you must do anyway). I use Outlook - have been sent many, many viruses, and never been infected once - and I don't imagine I ever will be.

Can you name one way in which Outlook is more susceptible than other clients, that cannot be changed by reconfiguring Outlook?

But, as I say - you don't even need to - you just run a proper AV program.

Belatucadrus 00:44 27 Jun 03

click here and click here for a couple of pages full of options and ratings.

Belatucadrus 00:57 27 Jun 03

Don't forget to have a look at Novell Groupwise, very versatile.

pmjd 11:12 27 Jun 03

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far.

Thank you to AndySD & Belatucadrus for finding the comparisons, very useful!

To DieSse, about for my anti-Outlook stance. It really comes down to all the flaws and vunerabilities that have been reported in the past. It does make me wonder how many more will be found and it is a big target for virus writers with it being so commonly used. That is why I don't want to use it. I would like something different that is a bit more secure.

Cheers,
Paul

tenaka 15:02 27 Jun 03

The point I think is, with Outlook you have to be aware of the issue before you can fix it, therefore you would need to be affected once to prevent future reoccurances.

With some of the others, there is no risk to begin with as most viruses that affect outlook are written for use on outlook.

Personally I stick with outlook too as I need the ease of use and easy integration but I'm getting close to jumping ship.

Q-Bie 16:44 27 Jun 03

I use I.Scribe, has a calendar as well, and is free, no ads!

click here

DieSse 23:48 27 Jun 03

It's a fallacy to beleive Outlook (or Outlook Express) are uniquely vulnerable to viruses. Many other email clients which have similar facilities are similarly vulnerable.

Outlook has had so much effort expended on closing security loopholes, many times before they've even been actually exploited by virus writers, that it's probably true to say it's generally more virus proof than other email clients with similar levels of facilities.

If you want to close the facilities off (no attachments, no automatic opening of attachments, text only, etc) - then you can do so in Outlook just as in any other email client.

In any case, over and above all this - you absolutely must run with a professional level of virus protection whatever you use. And since AV programs can sometimes be more difficult to set up and integrate with the more esoteric clients, this could make them more vulnerable than the most widespread ons (Outlook & Outlook Express).

So the situation rather takes on a different complexion then - one in which I would trust using Outlook MORE than some of the others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now