which dvd vhs combi will do the job?

thursty 21:34 14 Nov 07

I want to copy my old VHS recordings to DVD and also edit the material. I have a Panasonic HDD recorder and would also like to be able to archive these recordings to DVD. Can anyone advise which make/model would be suitable? Should I go for it and spend as much as I can afford, or get a cheap machine, i.e. is the quality very variable?

FatboySlim71 23:36 14 Nov 07

I have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder. I tried to transfer some of my old videos on to the Panasonic's hard drive, so that I could then edit them and transfer them onto DVD disc. The problem I found was that most of the videos that I had were originals and as such they had copy protection on them, the Panasonic unit picked up on this and displayed "Cannot copy, copy protection detected" or words to that affect.

If your video collection is not originals then its simply a matter of connecting your video recorder to you Panasonic HDD recorder. I will provide a link below, the link is basically along similar lines to your situation. Hope it helps.

click here

thursty 00:01 15 Nov 07

Thanks for your help. There's obviously quite a lot more to it than I had realised. The tapes I want to copy are mostly recordings from live TV, so shouldn't be protected.

I'll have a go at all the myriad of combinations of leads and see what happens. That would get the stuff to the HDD, but I still need a DVD recorder, so would getting a combi make more sense?

FatboySlim71 09:09 15 Nov 07

I presumed your Panasonic HDD was capably of recording to DVD disc as well, I know mine can write to either DVD disc or hard disc(HDD)

If your Panasonic HDD was not capable of writing to DVD disc then getting a combi would be best. Just make sure that the combi would allow you to transfer from video to DVD disc, just in case they had built something into it to stop people from transferring from video to DVD disc, i.e. Copyright issues etc. The below link shows a machine that seems to do what you are asking.

click here

Below is the PDF user guide for the above machine, so it should tell you on here if and how to transfer etc.

click here

Totally-braindead 12:02 15 Nov 07

I have done this successfully using a Liteon DVD recorder and a VHS video recorder. Just connect the output of the VHS to the input on the DVD recorder using a SCART lead. Put the DVD recorder onto record from the SCART, press play on the video and record on the DVD recorder. Thats it, works perfectly.
Only thing I have had to do is finalise the disk but the recorders tell you how to do that. As far as I am concerned a cheap one is as good as a dear one as far as DVD recorders are concerned but if you buy a dearer one you might find it has better build quality and will last longer and its quieter as some of the cheap one make a hell of a racket.
My Liteon one is fine and has no problems with any disks whatsoever. I have seen Tescos selling one for about the £60 mark.

March Hare 15:40 15 Nov 07

I've archived family videos direct from VHS to DVD using my cheap-and-cheerful Funai DRVRB778S VHS/DVD recorder, £130 from Currys and elsewhwere.
Much easier than messing about with intermediate copies on the computer.

thursty 23:09 15 Nov 07

Thanks, FatBoySlim, for the detailed information. I had more or less decided that the Panasonic DMR-EX95VEBS would be a good choice, but it gets terrible reviews on click here
so I am having second thoughts.

To Totally BrainDead - thanks for the info. I think you convinced me not to get a combi, and to trust that I will be able to record from my existing VHS machine to any standard DVD recorder, given the right leads.

March Hare: Thanks for the recommendation of a suitable DVD recorder.

You have all helped me reach a decision on what to do with the old VHS tapes and on DVD disk recording. Thanks very much!

Totally-braindead 00:17 16 Nov 07

thursty you can, its very simple, only thing I made sure of was that the DVD recorder had a SCART input as well as an output. If it doesn't then you would need some sort of adaptor which can be got but I have to say I don't think I've seen a recorder without a SCART input and output. They might exist so its worth checking as SCART makes it a lot easier as far as I'm concerned. Less leads for one thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…