which dvd drive?

Richard Hillman 01:05 07 Oct 05

hi

my friend's interested in buying a dvd rw. which is the best one for a fair price?

i've heard good things of the lg gsa4163b but i think that's been replaced by the gsa4167b which i know little about.

any recommendations?

thanks in advance,

richard.

Sheila-Jo 15:26 07 Oct 05

one which comes with nero/power dvd would be good also...

thanks,

richard.

Sheila-Jo 15:30 07 Oct 05

logged on wrong computer...

freaky 15:58 07 Oct 05

After reading the review in PCA, I bought the LG GSA-4163BA from PCW. They have them for sale at about £59......but you can purchase one at £39 from them in a plain brown box. This comes with a Ivory and Silver Bezel, but no cables or instructions. This is the one I bought, and it works OK.

Richard Hillman 16:05 07 Oct 05

Thanks for the reply, Freaky.

I never saw the review for the gsa4163 was it recent? Also has the gsa4167 been reviewed and if so is it worth buying that one instead? I just remember your model getting a few awards.

Richard.

Skills 16:17 07 Oct 05

I have the 4163B here it has only rejected 2 pieces of media in 3months both of which were RW's. It will write a movie disk in just under 10mins at 8x.

In PC Pro this month they have a round up of dvd writer and they review the 4165B which has support for -DL as well, they gave it 5/6 they said the write speeds were a bit slow and this is what stopped them recommending it. It costs £31 from scan.co.uk and comes with nero and cyberlink power producer gold and powerDVD

freaky 16:25 07 Oct 05

The PCA reviews on the LG GSA-4163BA are in the October and November 05 editions. In each case they came out top. I cannot comment on the 4167 as I have not seen any reviews, or even heard of it!

Richard Hillman 17:09 07 Oct 05

it's looking like it's the 4163 at the moment but just for the record here's the two of them:

click here

click here

freaky 18:31 07 Oct 05

Cannot see a lot of difference between the two apart from the price, and that the 4167 will burn to DVD Ram. Not many DVD Players support DVD Ram disks though.

If you pay the full price for a lot of DVD RW's then you are paying for cut down versions of Nero and similar programs that are included with it.

In my case I had previously purchased the full Nero6 Reloaded (which is excellent), so all I needed was the DVD RW with nothing else.

Richard Hillman 20:19 07 Oct 05

thanks for your replies - i've ordered the 4163b.

SEASHANTY 20:29 07 Oct 05

The DVD PLAYERS manufactured by Panasonic, JVC and NAD support DVD-RAM discs as also do all the DVD HOME RECORDERS manufactured by Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung.

The LG 4163B PC Writer is a joint collaboration between LG and Hitachi. The other PC writer wich supports DVD-RAM is the Panasonic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…