Which Computer Monitor?

PC_HelpMe 20:53 PM 19 Nov 11

Hello folks, I really hope you can help me with your (as ever) good advice.

I have a budget of £150 to buy a new computer monitor, but have no idea where to start or what is even a good make (the monitor I have which is on its way out is a Samtron? and came with my Time Computer so you know how old it is).

I don't play games on it and the only thing I really use it for (other than surfing the internet) is editing photos.

What should I be looking for?

Should I go for a specific make?

Should it be a CRT or LCD or TFT?

Thank you in advance for your help.

rdave13 21:21 PM 19 Nov 11

As your PC is a tad on the old side then you need to check if, whichever monitor you choose, that it has a VGA port.

CRT I wouldn't choose. I've always used AOC monitors.

PC_HelpMe 23:01 PM 19 Nov 11

Oops, sorry I wasn't too clear in my post - our actual pc is only a few years old - but our monitor is from the very first pc we had. Our tower unit does have the VGA port that you mention.

rdave13 23:16 PM 19 Nov 11

Select a monitor that is compatible with your PC's output or if you have a GPU card then the card's output.

Have a look here , possibly you will have a HDMI or most probably a DVI-D port.

Find one compatible with the ports and most importantly, compatible with your pocket? Buy from some reputable retailers so if you do get a problem you can return and get a replacement. Worth the extra pennies.

rdave13 23:21 PM 19 Nov 11

Should have added that as well as a VGA port your card should have a DVI-D port. Note that if you buy a monitor using the DVI-D port (better quality) check if it comes with a DVI-D cable. That can come as extra expense.

birdface 11:11 AM 20 Nov 11

This one looks ok for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-24-inch-VH242H-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B001TH8OYW/ref=sr110?ie=UTF8&qid=1321787261&sr=8-10

Check out Amazon and E-buyer as they give free delivery.

PC_HelpMe 13:23 PM 20 Nov 11

Thanks for your advice folks :)

D@ve 14:41 PM 20 Nov 11

There are several different technologies when it comes to LCD screens. The cheapest and most common is a TN panel which offers the worst viewing angles and poor colour reproduction. There is another type called IPS panels which are far superior and usually very expensive, although LG have recently released one for a very reasonable price - LG IPS235V. For someone that edits photo, going for an IPS panel is a no-brainer!

PC_HelpMe 19:08 PM 20 Nov 11

Thanks D@ve - some more advice given :)

PC_HelpMe 21:01 PM 20 Nov 11

Hi everyone - had a look at the monitors you've kindly provided me links to - wondering if you know of any that are 19" as just measured the corner I have and can't get more than a 20" one :)

PC_HelpMe 09:19 AM 22 Nov 11

Ok so we found this one as it has a higher resolution than most of the others and mentions editing photos - is it going to be ok?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/aoc-2036sa-20-widescreen-lcd-monitor-04050682-pdt.html

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…