Which is the cheapest best broadband service

erkmatrix 11:29 12 Nov 03

Hi I've finally decided to get myself on broadband for christmas as BT has finally got round to giving us a broadband enabled telephone exchange.

I'm currently on Kingston Communication with my telephone as its the cheapest round here, but would like to use BT line for the broadband.

Does anyone know how much it would be just to rent the line from BT?

And can anyone recommend a decent cheap broadband service. I was rather impressed with PlusNet.?

Thanks in advance.

johnnyrocker 11:41 12 Nov 03

generally i find the two do not go together you could do a google search for uk adsl providers and that will give you access to the top 85 or you could read the reviews at click here
and then make an informed judgement but i would think all will insist on a bt line first do kingston not do it?

johnbhoy 12:27 12 Nov 03

Junipaire - I would assume that your telephone line is supplied by BT and you still pay them for your line rental, but you get billed for your calls etc through Kingston Communication.

Given the fact that Broadband does not use the analogue line and that your BT exchange is now broadband enabled, I would think you can choose any ISP you like without involving rent another line from BT. I would think it would be best to check with BT.

Sir Radfordin 13:12 12 Nov 03

You may want to look here:

click here

You can check your number (click here) and see if that will give you any options.

If you do not have an account with BT at the moment (even if just for the line rental) your options may be limited.

JerryJay 14:45 12 Nov 03

If you are in Hull area, Kingston Communication
maybe is your only choice.

Hull is the only area in the UK without BT.

erkmatrix 23:12 12 Nov 03

I don't think I explainined it properly sorry bout that, No BT have brought broadband to my area but at the moment my telephone line is with Kingston communication we used to be with BT but changed cause it was cheaper.We still have the BT line attached to our house just don't use it.

What I wanted to know is how much it would cost to just rent the BT line for broadband. Kingston do have broadband yes but its a rip off at £30 a month.

fairfax 23:17 12 Nov 03

Do you have a cable provider for TV in your area? Ours is Telewest who seem reliable for the year I've been using them and I pay £25 per month (no installation charge). However the rent may be lower because I rent cable TV from them as well.

Sir Radfordin 23:28 12 Nov 03

If your telephone line that you do use has nothing to do with BT then I'm fairly certain you are going to have to pay the line rental on a BT line before you can take out an ADSL subscription.

BT will be able to tell you what the line rental is - you may get a discount for low usage as you won't make any calls on it.

If you use Kingston to provide a service over BT lines (like Mercury used to and others since...you type in an acess code before you dial the number) then you shouldn't need to do anything.

Running a line check on your phone number may be the quickest way to an answer.

If you do have to rent an additional line from BT then you may find it cheaper to use Kingston for your ADSL.

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR CHEAP BROADBAND AS WELL AND HAVE FOUND A SITE CALLED e7even .com nearly half price of the rest its a yearly one of payment up front i am a bit dubious as i dont know how to find out if any good hope it helps and if any one knows anything about it please let me no thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:14 13 Nov 03

It will be cheaper to stick with Kingston if you cannot run BT through their lines. ALL BB lines (apart from NTL and Tekewest) are run by BT so choosing a provider really boils down to the 'reliability' of the ISP and price. You will need to rent a line from BT at £13ish a quarter and then cough up for BB at £25ish/month. Most BB companies are around the £25/month mark and for £5 a month saving either way it is not worth the hassle.

pj123 17:26 14 Nov 03

Try this link and take your pick click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…