Which Case?

Bravo2Red 03:11 04 Aug 08

Hello,

I'm creating a PC and have nearly finished all a need a case.
My requirements are:
1. Reliable
2. Comes with PSU with above average (AKA Higher than the motherboard requires).
3. Cool looking!
4. Cheap.

MY specs are at click here or below:
HD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB| click here

Re-Writer
ASUS DRW 1814BLT |click here

Case
???

Graphics Card
BFG GeForce 7600 GT | click here

Motherboard
Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI / ASUS Republic of Gamers Striker Extreme Motherboard|click here

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 | click here

RAM
2GB |click here

Bravo2Red 03:34 04 Aug 08

for number 2 I meant high wattage.

€dstowe 07:41 04 Aug 08

Your interpretation of "cool looking" may not match other people's. Really the only thing to do is to trawl through the listings of the suppliers until you find something that suits your needs.

Remember, though that "cheap" doesn't fit well alongside good quality, especially in regard to a PSU and you may well be better getting a case without a PSU and installing your own good quality one.

Always remember the old saying "Don't spoil the ship for an ha'porth of tar."

jack 10:21 04 Aug 08

As with €dstowe
Two requiremewnts that are not really worth consideration.
Most cases are tucked away under somewhere - who cares what it looks like.
Also get one in some out landish decor only to find the front plate of various optical drives are still in ubiquitous beige{Although my current Samsung does have an alternative snap on black fascia]
Cheap also means flimsy as I have found to my cost when building machines for folk.

My current machine is as up to date as reasonable - [64 bit system etc., ]all except for the case
That is six or even more years old.
I have kept it because it is r-u-g-g-e-d
they don't seem to make them like it any more.

crosstrainer 11:55 04 Aug 08

A nice Wavemaster steel case is both attractive, and helps cool things down. Your power supply should be bought seperately.

click here

I have one of these (the door at the top opens to reveal the optical drives)

Cheap? No, but will last a lifetime (very heavy solid construction)

GaT7 13:41 04 Aug 08

May I say the spec you've chosen is a bit 'lop-sided'.

You've chosen an expensive top-spec 'gamers' motherboard & expensive quality RAM, but the graphics card is poor in comparison. For gaming I'd recommend a HD 4850 / HD 4870, but then again it depends on what games you're thinking of playing.

For a case you can't go much wrong with an Antec Sonata & it's quality 500W PSU click here. However, it could be a tight fit should you want to upgrade the graphics to the longer, newer breed of cards. G

GaT7 13:46 04 Aug 08

A high-end graphics card usually consumes the most power, so you should choose your PSU on the basis of what card(s) you're thinking of upgrading to in the future.

The 500W Antec will handle one high-end card (a 7600GT is low-end in comparison btw), but I doubt it can handle two in SLi/Crossfire mode. G

Bravo2Red 14:37 04 Aug 08

hi, thanks for your help but i'm getting the graphics for free aNd I don't plan on much gamming.

GaT7 16:44 04 Aug 08

In that case save your money & get a more-than-capable motherboard for a third to half the price. Also save yourself ~$30 on the RAM & get the basic PC6400 stuff click here.

What are you going to do on the PC btw? Will you be buying in the US/UK? I could suggest a spec better suited to your needs at a lower cost, or even a pre-built one that could be better value. G

jack 16:49 04 Aug 08

Then you could do worse than looking at click here.
for base systems, motherboard bundles or all separate bits and bobs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…