Which broadband service is best?

Cybermaxx 14:37 15 Feb 04

Well, I intend to upgrade from dial-up to 512K broadband, but I'm dithering over which provider to choose. I'm currently with AOL, and it's been okay, but I keep reading posts on other forums rubbishing AOL broadband. Why? What exactly is supposed to be wrong with it?

Also, is it worth buying my own ADSL modem? There will only be the one computer using it, and I've seen one in the Argos catalogue for £29.99. How would I go about setting up an ISP with that?

A few questions there, I know! I want to get this right first time, because broadband is expensive.....

bremner 14:42 15 Feb 04

Have a look here for some comparisons of reliability, speed and customer satifaction on a wide range of ISP's. click here

Cybermaxx 14:51 15 Feb 04

Thanks for that, Bremner. Heck, there are fifty-three of them!

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:22 15 Feb 04

ALL broadband land lines go through BT. Som you are at the mercy of your location and line quality and how many people, near you, are on BB. It would seem to be much of a muchness. If you are already on AOL their BB service aka BT, will seem a good move. You can buy any ADSL modem and when you insert the disk you will be asked to connect the modemm (do not connect the modem before); all you then do is enter your username and password and that is it. If you go with Freeserve, Virgin, Tiscali, Pipex you willfind equally good quality.

G

bremner 15:27 15 Feb 04

You do not say if you are in a NTL or Blueyonder area as of course their Broadband is supplied via cable and not through BT lines.

Cybermaxx 15:54 15 Feb 04

No, I'm not going for the cable option. The ADSL (with AOL, anyway) option doesn't require an engineer to fit, and I like the idea of setting it up myself.

A lot of the companies offering broadband provide the modem, cables etc., but they also require you to sign a twelve month contract. What I was wondering was whether or not if I bought my own DSL modem, would I be able find a cheaper broadband ISP (ie one that doesn't provide the modem etc.)?

IClaudio 16:25 15 Feb 04

If you do a Search of these forums, you'll find that the majority (of posters) are with Pipex, with good reason. You get a modem (I didn't when I joined, grrr), plus a couple of microfilters, and a great service. It's virtually bombproof and very fast and all at a good price (you can get cheaper, but don't bother, there's no such thing as a free lunch). Plus, the contract is only for a month, so if you really don't like it, you can move on.

Don't lie awake at night fretting about £5 here or there, just go Pipex! I don't work for them... :)

For another good site full of info, click here

Tony

Cybermaxx 17:10 15 Feb 04

Well, I've had a good read through of the Pipex broadband service and it looks pretty good. There's got to be a catch somewhere, though! Whenever I purchase something new and untried, there are always snags to be encountered. I don't know.....

IClaudio 17:42 15 Feb 04

Answer: there isn't one! IF you need the speed of Broadband (although actually, it's only speedy when compared to the sanilpace of your 56K dial-up), then £23 is one of the great bargains. You won't have to wonder if you can afford to download a file - you're always online, and most files are downloaded in the blink of an eye, although even huge game mods of 256Meg are only a boiled kettle's-worth. Tip: get a copy of Internet Download Manager click here

Just about everything you do will be enhanced by BB, from onlining gaming (if you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're missing) to simple things like Registering programs online to Windows updates (and that annoying thing that Adobe does, when it goes online to pick up new upgrades when you start Photoshop or PhotoElements, 'no personal information being transmitted', my eye!).

You may encounter snags in setting up, but that's what the HelpRoom Forum here is for!

Good luck, you won't regeret it!
Tony

anchor 18:03 15 Feb 04

I endorse the recommendation of Pipex.

I have been on their 512k service for almost 2 years; setup was easy, very few problems in connecting, and these have been short lived.

With their PIPEX Xtreme Solo2Go 500, you pay an initial £17.57, which gives you a modem, 2 micro-filters, and pays your BT setup fee. Then its £23.44/month.

click here

As regards speed; well you won`t ever wish to go back to the old 56k connection.

Cybermaxx 18:10 15 Feb 04

Yes, I've been reading through their blurb. I like the idea of unlimited download/upload. I did notice a passage which states that if you opt out before twelve months are up, you have to pay a fee of £58 (but only if you haven't paid for BT to set up the ADSL). Does the Solo2Go 500 £17 fee cover that eventuality?

Online gaming is my main reason for upgrading. I have loads of strategy/first person shooters that I want to try out in multiplayer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…