Which is best buy, desktop PC offers

erkmatrix 19:48 01 Aug 06

Looks like my PC has seen its end , thinking about getting a new one and just would like some advice on the best buy.

Theres this one from mesh for £599 base unit
X-treme² - SLI

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2-4200+ Dual Core
with HyperTransport™ Technology
Genuine Windows® XP Home
ASUS A8N-SLI SE Mainboard
1024MB DDR400 Memory
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
256MB GeForce 7600GT SLI Ready
Sony 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer
5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
Classic Warranty-3Years free parts & lab.

Then this one from cube247.co.uk for £599 +vat

Dorado ST4.
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz System - Fantastic Value!

* Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz (650) 2MB L2 Cache - *64 BIT* Version!!
* 1024MB DDR400 Corsair Memory - The World's Premium Memory!
* 300GB Seagate Hard Disk - Very Fast And Quiet!
* ATI / EQS Deluxe Motherboard
* 16x DVD Player - Fastest DVD ROM Available!
* NEC DVD ReWriter ND4570 16x Dual Layer & Dual Format - The Best Drive In The World!
* ATI Radeon x1600PRO 512MB PCI-Express Graphics Card!
* Sony Floppy Drive
* 6 Channel Sound (5.1 Surround Sound)
* 12x USB2 Ports
* Firewire
* 10/100 Ethernet LAN Adapter
* Midi Tower Case

And then theres the bargain from aldi on thursday
for 399.99

ntel Pentium D820 Dual Core Processor 2.8GHz
Two processor cores work within the same processor to increase the performance of your PC. Dual core technology means that several demanding applications can be run at the same time allowing your computer to think as fast as you can multitask.

200GB Hard Disk
Superfast 7,200rpm, Serial ATA interface.

1024MB Memory
DDR2 SDRAM/533MHz. Both memory slots occupied.

Multi-Standard Dual Layer DVD/CD Writer1
Max. Write Speed: 8 × DVD+R dual layer, 4 × DVD-R dual layer, 16 × DVD+R, 16 × DVD-R, 8 × DVD+RW, 6 × DVD-RW, 5 × DVD-RAM, 48 × CD-R, 24 × CD-RW. Max. Read Speed: 16 × DVD-ROM, 48 × CD-ROM.

DVB-T2/Analogue TV
Hybrid DVB-T/Analogue TV Tuner Card with RF remote control.

S3 Graphics UnichromeTM PRO IGP (on board)
Upgradable through 8 × AGP slot.

6 Channel Audio3
Dolby Digital© For Home Theatre Sound4.

Integrated 8-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
Reads from and writes to all common Flash cards5.

Connectivity
6 × USB 2.0 Ports - 2 × Front, 4 × Rear.
V.90 PCI data/fax modem, modem connection cable included.
Network controller on board. Fast Ethernet 10/100MBit/s.

I don't have too much money and the aldi medion does sound a good offer, just then if I'm buying a new one, I would want it lasting longer than this Time machine I have now so don't want a baly built machine.

So any advice or if you know of any offer around 400 to 600 pounds, I'd much appreciate it.

cheers
Philip

961 20:14 01 Aug 06

Consider Dell

Aldi are retailers. You'll get it cheap. (Like Time?) If it works, it will be fine. If it don't, do they know how to fix it?

If you are going down the local superstore road, go PCWorld. Advent or HP. Do you need a new monitor? PC World will sell the computer without one. You'll save buckets

Mesh build good computers at first class prices. But if you have a problem, you'll see from threads here that their service can be a little, well, frustrating. Call their help line before you buy to see if things are now running ok

Dell ship over a hundred thousand computers a week, many to businesses in quantities of hundreds. They can't afford to have them go wrong and, basically, apart from the rare hiccup, they don't. They are also extremely price competitive. I've just bought 2 5150 base units at around £300 each and haggled free delivery and one or two other bits of add ons. They arrived in 3 days and both worked out of the box

Consider what you want to use the computer for. Prices are low just now. Everyone is on the Costas and the base units are still pouring off the end of the production line. Haggle. And then haggle again!

Deb-232479 20:22 02 Aug 06

I got a pc from them in February and it's been excellent. They also talked me through a BIOS update and made it all very easy for me. Their customer service is excellent whether on the phone or by email.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now