Which anti virus software?

rooeliza 09:21 22 Aug 03

Can anyone help please? I want to buy some antivirus software, but I'm not sure which one. At the moment, the choice is between Norton or McAfee.... any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Steven135 09:39 22 Aug 03

Personally I have used Norton for years I have found it to be excellent.

Djohn 09:39 22 Aug 03

I can't really offer advice on either of the two above, as I have never used them, but they are both well known names, and I don't think you will go far wrong with either of them.

I, along with many other people use a free anti-virus, there are several to choose from and they are only a small download. I use AVG, find it works very well in the background, quietly doing it's job. If you look at the top of this page, you will see a link in "Blue" letters, [Downloads], click on this and look for them there.

AVG, if you choose this is to be found at. click here Regards. j.

Belatucadrus 10:58 22 Aug 03

I used AVG 6.0 in the past without any problems, I have however changed to Alwils avast4 ! click here This has the best results on the Virus Bulletin tests click here for any free anti virus. The scan scheduler is disabled, but you can set it to scan during screensaver, updates are incremental and fully automatic, highly recommended.

I may reconsider if AVG 7.0 becomes free, but at the moment avast seems the better option.

961 11:00 22 Aug 03

I have used AVG for several years, have found it to be as good as any, and have never had any problems. On that basis I find it difficult to argue that you should pay to buy an alternative, many of which only provide free updates for a limited time after which you have to pay again

The Paul 11:44 22 Aug 03

Me too - a great fan of AVG. As said above its free, goes looking for updates everyday and has NEVER let me down. IT IS FREE and just as good, if not better, than most if not all of the software you can buy.

DieSse 12:32 22 Aug 03

Go for the one with the best virus detection record at click here

Which is also the fastest in operation.

NOD 32 from Eset click here

I quote "Since May 1998, NOD32 remains the only antivirus in the world not to have missed any 'In the Wild' (ItW) virus in the prestigious tests of the international publication on computer virus prevention, recognition and removal, the Virus Bulletin."

Gaz 25 19:51 22 Aug 03

Through years of testing antivirus for work myself, the free alternatives are great! Avast is wonderful while AVG 7.0 (when free) looks a great improvement.

However Norton seems to slow your system down and can be problamatic.

Here are a few links to pay software:

click here - Symantec (Norton)

click here - Panda AV

Also if you choose a free one, run an online scan from places such as Trend micro as they may miss some viruses.

Also ensure the configuration is set to its best too!

More advice at click here

Gaz 25 20:05 22 Aug 03

NOD 32 is great!

Hitch-Hiker 11:26 24 Aug 03

I use norton no problems seems to work very well

palinka 11:50 24 Aug 03

I've used Mcafee and Norton in the past, but find the easiest one to get to work as I want it, and to understand when I'm setting it up, is AVG. Currently have Norton on one comp. & AVG on the other, only difference is one is free, the other isn't (Norton came pre-installed on my new laptop).
As has often been said in this forum, why buy when you can download for free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…