Where and how to try out monitors before purchase

nms777 17:10 29 Jan 06

Can anyone recommend where, or how, one can try out TFT monitors before purchasing them? I'm thinking of being able to use my own photographs on, say, a USB pen drive to compare the image quality of different monitors. I have looked in stores such as PC World and Comet, but they only have a limited selection relative to the number of options available (fair enough) and they will not allow customers to use their own files on the machines they have on display.

I have read reviews of numerous models, on this forum and elsewhere, and also read the comments in the other threads relating to monitors. It's just that I would prefer to see the monitor in question before deciding to purchase, although I am ready to accept that this may not be feasible.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of monitors that claim to display 16.7 million colours rather than 16.2 million?

Thank you.

Totally-braindead 17:36 29 Jan 06

The last bit about the 16.2 or 16.7 million colours I've never heard of before, it could be a misprint perhaps or something to with 1k being 1000 bytes with some companies or 1024 bytes with others.
Regarding looking at monitors in store I would have suggested the likes of PC World and Comets and Dixons, I appreciate why the won't allow you to use a pen drive on their PCs as its all to easy to get a virus, my suggestion would be to get them to put a fast moving action film on it, this would give you the opprtunity to see how good the colour/brightness etc is and if its a fast moving picture the chance to see that its not blurry.

kash19 00:08 30 Jan 06

orite mate nm777 you can check tfts at a staples store where ever it is near you, they will be happy to help you, i work in edinburgh if you are in edinburgh bring your drive in i will be happy to help you out, and you can check your photos, its all part of the service.

Stuartli 11:38 30 Jan 06

I've mentioned before, in support of kash19, that my local Staples usually has a number of TFT monitors on display.

The Sony models, especially the black screen versions, really stand out from the rest.

My local Tesco Extra also has a staggering selection of CRT, TFT and TFT monitors on working display; the TVs all use the same programme for more accurate comparison.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…