Where to buy 120GB or more hard drive

amsjrt 21:33 17 Jun 03

Hi,

I saw ebuyer is selling 120GB - IBM / Hitachi 180GXP 120Gb 7200rpm ATA100 2mb Cache Hard Drive - OEM for £79.59. Is there any places cheaper? Is this brand good?

Also I know "OEM" means bare drive, so what dfo I need to install the hard drive?

Cheers.

Totally-braindead 22:01 17 Jun 03

They're good drives, I've got a 40gig one. Excellent price too, all you need is another IDE cable or a spare connector on you existing one. If you want any of the software you get with a drive you should be able to download it from the IBM site. But Ebuyer, its the only company I will no longer deal with, some people don't have problems though.

TBH1 22:05 17 Jun 03

I have 2 IBM/Hitachi hard drives - master 60gb 7200 jobbie and a 40gb 5400 slave - - - both OEM. I am not the most 'profficient' guy on a PC ( or speller !!!) - - and they both went in a treat. Also, this sounds a very good price indeed - - -it has only been a month or so since I bought my 60gb one at £65.
Everyone has there favourites, and dislikes, and have read one or two not so glowing reports of this type of hard drive - - -but on my own experience, I cannot fault them. Good luck mate.

TBH1 22:09 17 Jun 03

forgot to mention the ribbon cable thingy mentioned by Totally-braindead - - -though my pc had the spare connector already on it - - - as it happens have just bought one of these double connectors for my daughter's pc - - a bit miffed at paying £14.99 from PCW, thought they were a lot cheaper than that but was desperate - - -well, thought I was as its not been installed yet !!!

TBH1 22:11 17 Jun 03

above only if your gonna install as slave - - a straight replacement and it'll fit where you take the old 'un out - - - - -must learn to plan my responses here !!!!

The Spires 08:44 18 Jun 03

TBH1 It does seem that it was a while ago that IBM had problems, the lastest drives are as good as any and among the fastest around, I can't fault the one I have. amsjrt you should be able to get a round IDE cable for £3 or so.

rickf 11:14 18 Jun 03

Just bought a Maxtor 120g 7200 133ATA 2mb cache 8ms for £78 at fair.

Megatyte 12:37 18 Jun 03

I'd recommend Maxtor. Prices at ebuyer are quite good. I've had to many bad IBM drives and now avoid them like the plague.

AH

amsjrt 21:12 24 Jun 03

Cheers. Thanks for your advice. I just ordered the IBM / Hitachi 180GXP 120Gb 7200rpm ATA100 2mb Cache Hard Drive - OEM for about £77 incl delivery with DABS. I think I will give IBM a try as it appears to have good recommendation from Computer Buyer magazine.

Hope I will be able to install later. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…