when to bite the bullet and buy new

perpetually-perplexed 18:03 11 Jul 03

i cant help noticing that the forum gets lots of problems from people with win95.
its 8-9 yrs old, so probabally is the hardware.
how many times has the hdd spun around in that time as well as the cd rom etc. it must be like having a k reg car with 250k on the clock.
if i had a car that old i would learn how to mend it without taking it to a garage.
when does the time come to bite the bullet and get a new system or upgrade.

perpetually-perplexed 18:13 11 Jul 03

my opening post sound like im having a moan about win95 users needing help, im very sorry if it sounds like that , im genuinly interested for how long people can keep their computers useful

Big Elf 18:44 11 Jul 03

I finally replaced my much upgraded AMD K400, 128MB RAM, 2 x 8GB HD, 16MB Creative Banshee system only when the motherboard failed after giving me 6 years of excellent service and is was no longer economical to repair. It was capable of doing most things albeit slowly particulalry photo editing. My new PC will be kept and used until/when it finally gives up the ghost but to be honest for 90% of the time I don't need the power. I bought a new, really high spec system, because 1. I am lucky enough to afford it and 2. It's future proofed for a number of years ahead (or until the next killer app that requires a zillion GHz CPU).

I've managed to donate most of the parts from my old PC to others so that they've not been wasted.

I still have an old Dell 133MHz laptop that is fine for Word, Excel and surfing.

perpetually-perplexed 20:33 11 Jul 03

a 400mhz machine is fine for win98 and plenty of good apps and games like the sims etc
what i find odd tho is there are alot of machines on here running 95 and they are always getting problems, usually software probs.
even if you keep a p166 or something like it why are people still running 95 when 98 is freely available and in my opinion so much easier to use

Big Elf 21:20 11 Jul 03

Win98 might be freely available (although I'm not sure that is now the case) upgrading OS's is expensive and many people don't have problems and find that Win95 is OK for their needs. I stuck with Win 3.1 for a long time because it met my requirements and it's only when software and peripherals insisted that I use Win95 that I reluctantly upgraded.

I was running Win2000 on my old desktop when it finally packed in and it didn't seem slow at the time.

Having said that if pushed and living without my scanner, optical mouse, digital camera and USB2/PCMCIA interface thingy the Dell laptop(mentioned above) would be OK for most of my needs.

Thinking about it, because I have Win95 OSR2 on the Dell, I could probably get a PCMCIA USB card for it and get all those peripherals connected.

perpetually-perplexed 21:34 11 Jul 03

its just that i couldnt be bothered to mess about with installing things when you can plug everything into a usb port and it works.
and ive never come across a really stable system on 95 or 98

For me my computer is both a tool that is used dailey for research and study as well as work. I use it as any "end user" would professionally and also socially.

However, it is more than just a tool - it is a hobby as well and I take great pleasure in constantly upgrading and replacing bits and peices as required. I dont rush out and buy the latest release of anything - why pay through the nose when you know in two or three months the same kit will be a LOT cheaper?

In this way I constantly upgrade the pc. My latest acquisition was a Gigabyte GA7 NNXP mobo and Athlon XP3000, I have two 80 GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9's (8Mb) and two 80Mb SATA drives as well. I have a 22" Iiyama Vision Master monitor and Wireless (54g) router and cardbus. this is hooked up to a P4 2.6 laptop.

whats next? Not sure but I spent a fortune on the case and dont have any plans to change it - just what is inside it!! Now, whats on special this weekend at Ebuyer, Dabs, Simply, Redstore.......

Sir Radfordin 23:32 11 Jul 03

To me there is this strange problem that exists. People who have a PC that it say 5 years old say "I only do my christmas letters, keep a record of my pocket money and play minesweeper why should I upgrade?" to which the answer would always be don't bother. However its only once you buy a new mid-top spec PC you find that you can do something else. That there is no need just to type a letter but the PC can do far more.

Part of the reason why PC World (IMO) sell the wrong PC's to people is they go in and say stuff like "I want to write the odd letter, send a few emails, keep track of my finances" when what they really meen is "I want to watch the latest DVD's, pirate a few MP3s and perhaps I'll also write a letter." It doesn't sound as good and people don't think thats the right reason to buy a PC.

Most people don't understand their needs and need someone to show them what could be done with never technology.

As Smiffy99 says, there is no reason for 90% of the people to have the very latest, but the newer the PC the more enjoyable using it will be.

Its the same argument with dial-up and broadband. I think I'd be right in saying most people could cope with dial-up for most of their internet needs. However broadband makes it much more enjoyable and does make the Internet far more useful and accessible. Its not until you have it you realise what difference it does make.

As for when its time to buy a new PC, I'd say when you feel the one you have isn't doing things as fast as you perhaps would like. Once it becomes hassle to use the PC then its time to think about changing. Most people have some contact with more modern PC's in a workplace so you will have a feel for what your PC speed could be like.

I realise I've made several generalisations and sweeping statements, but thats the only way to handle such an open question.

perpetually-perplexed 00:54 12 Jul 03

until last week my mother had an old p133.
she used it for the odd letter and to icq with her sister in australia. i spent loads of time just getting to thing to do a simple task. she disliked technologythen last tuesday she bought a mobile phone cos she has a heart problem and it made me feel better knowing she has it. by friday she had used 30pounds in credit and she wouldnt be without it. we went out and i bought her a new computer from pc world( yes i know but it was a good offer) it had loads of stuff she never heard of like dvd rom, cd-r and a 19in tft
she said her old one was fast enough for what she wanted but i took it home and set it up and went to a meeting. igot back the next day and shed managed to copy loads of cd for her car, hooked up a microphone and webcam and used her digi camera for the first time. she was ecstatic that her sister could here her and see her.
if i took it away now she would be lost, she could never go back to a 133 without the dvd etc. so all the people on here with old stuff, who dont know what they are missing, bite the bullet and integrate your computer usage into your life, you can always find things to do with it, like toaday i got dragon speech 7, no more typing

davidg_richmond 01:01 12 Jul 03

Sir Radfordin, I appreciate your comments on PC World's customers being not entirely truthful when asking about their preffered usage. As I have worked for them, I have found that many do ask what you have stated, and I easily got the idea that they were thinking of a bit more.... the only folk who I believe when they say that is the OAPs who came in who you kind of knew weren't gonna get much out of a PC (present retired company excepted).

And the number of parents who say that their kids will never be allowed to play games on their new (graphics card-less) budget PC who I am sure go back on their word must be quite high too....

davidg_richmond 01:03 12 Jul 03

Although when I explain the benefits of a higher-spec (and higher price) PC they always stay focused on the cheaper PC that won't do the extra things and see them as being too much for them to learn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…