Whats missing from the good old Anti-virus?

Gaz 25 16:40 09 Jun 03

Well I thought it would be intresting as well as help manufacturers of Anti-virus.

I think, some viruses may not be found by the herustics or full scan, whatabout the ability to prevent changes to parts of the registry, lock down settings and stop code from being run without you knowing. This is possibly all around now but I cannot see it in most Anti-viruses such as AVG or Norton, etc...

Any other great ideas?

Jester2K II 17:03 09 Jun 03

"prevent changes to parts of the registry" & "stop code from being run without you knowing"

Hmmmm how would any program work then. Although what i understand you are looking for is called a "Sandbox" - not sure myself so i'll stop here.

Gaz 25 17:06 09 Jun 03

Well, why not just confirm the changes?

And protect against known filenames for viruses?

Etc...

crx1600 17:28 09 Jun 03

wont this do. click here

Gaz 25 17:31 09 Jun 03

But why not all in one big package?

Anyway, any other ideas?

Jester2K II 08:48 10 Jun 03

"known filenames for viruses" - because sometimes they use random names and sometimes the names of real files. You can see both problems there...

"Well, why not just confirm the changes?" Because you would forever be clicking on OK for every move the PC made. And would the average user know the difference between a malicoius change to the registry and an innocent one??

It a VERY good idea - don't get me wrong but not as practical as it might seem....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…