Whats the difference

rupie 17:26 02 Aug 05

I have just got another computer at home and I now want to network 3 together, to share broadband, files and printers. I went into a computer store and was presented with an aray of hubs, switches, routers and gateways, some adsl, some broadband and some not. I am completely confused as most of the boxes seem to say they did the same thing. What is the difference and what is a cheap solution.

PC Bilbo 18:01 02 Aug 05

You say you have Broadband but don't say if this is cable or ADSL. Also are you trying to network using cables or wireless (or a combination)?.

If you already have a modem, you only need a router,
but may prefer to get get your own combined one.

Not all routers support printer sharing so you need to check this out.

If you want to go wireless route it's a lot easier to set up if you have XP on all machines as you can clone settings from one on USB drive and automatically transfer onto other machines.

Lastly, Wireless Routers normally come with some sort of encryption security but the level varies amongst manufacturers ; some have inbuilt firewalls.

I suggest you research forums first before shelling out hard earned readies but around £200 i'sh outlay should cover it.

Try click here

it should answer some of your questions

palinka 18:56 02 Aug 05

I delayed for a long time before i finally fixed for my laptop and desktop to share my BB connection. Reason for the delay was that i didn't know what all these bits & pieces were & what i needed. The simplest explanation for me came from BT's website where they showed each bit of kit, explained what they all did and offerec a variety of packs containing various elements to suit different set-ups. Not suggesting that you necessarily buy from BT, but their site helped me.

Forum Editor 19:07 02 Aug 05

from Helproom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…