whats the best anti-virus on the market

MTX 20:28 30 Aug 06

I'm thinking about changing my anti-virus from Norton 2005(NIS), mainly due to how much it slows down my PC when performing a scan.
It has been suggested that i switch to Firefox and change to AVG. However i want one with Parental control. What do you use and is it any good. Any sugestions??

ade.h 20:39 30 Aug 06

Premium? NOD32 of course.

Free? Probably Avast.

ade.h 20:40 30 Aug 06

BTW: you don't get parental control in AVs....

Colin 20:49 30 Aug 06

I use the free version of AVG Anti Virus and the Windows XP firewall. I used to use Norton Internet Security 2005 as it came with my router, but, as you say, it also slowed down my PC a lot and I got sick of the firewall warnings that were not as serious as they appeared to be. With regard to parental controls, depending on your ISP, I use BT Broadband, they are supplied free.
According to Luis Villazon in PC Format, if you exercise prudence, you don't need to pay for these security software products. For anyone who hasn't heard of Luis, he is the extremeley sarcastic and caustic help line advisor in PC Format.

VoG II 20:55 30 Aug 06

click here is a good AV with parental controls and more.

However as above you do not really need to pay for AV - AVG click here is fine.

However, I'm a bit of a fan of McAfee and I have their AV and firewall. I don't need parental control - I am a parent but do not wish to be controlled ;o)

Ops 21:19 30 Aug 06

I bought Panda Platinum 2006 about 2 months ago, just taken it off it caused no end of problems.

MTX 21:20 30 Aug 06

thanks for replies. i'll be checking out those tips.
however any recommedations for free parental control?

DieSse 22:57 30 Aug 06

I agree with ade.h

NOD32 for a paid product, Avast for a free one. Avast places a significantly bigger load on sysatem performance than NOD32.

click here - read and believe.

martytoon 11:47 31 Aug 06

I bank with Barclays and have just been offered F-Secure AV and 2 years subscription free of charge which I've taken up. Worth checking out if you're with them - not sure if they have just offerred it to those who are currently registered for online banking.

DieSse 12:00 31 Aug 06

Free parental control software click here if you google for the phrase, you get other choices.

I can't vouch for any, as my only one is 41, and even the grandchildren are getting a bit old for such software :-)))

neilpatmore 19:15 30 Sep 09

At present, I'd have to say Nod32 - very low on resource usage.

2nd - Kaspersky. Taking their eye off the ball lately though, and their business managed service offering was a complete flop.

3rd - Bitdefender. Good reviews and getting better all the time. Watch these guys closely.

F-Secure's latest offering is worth testing too. They've gone back to the drawing board and created something worth looking at.

Neil
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac