What is worth paying for online?

Widows Son 02:36 06 Feb 04

Apart from physical stuff like cds etc that then arrive in the post. The reason I ask is that so far I have only found one thing – digiguide and even that is only worth the seven hard earned quid per year if your PC and TV happen to be in the same room. I’m all ears.

Forum Editor 07:00 06 Feb 04

Holidays, airline tickets, theatre and cinema tickets, Lottery entries, software, access to information resources, car insurance, house contents insurance, stocks & shares, and so on.

Apart from that 'physical stuff' you mention.

georgemac 07:52 06 Feb 04

I agree with most of waht you said, but I recently purchased some theatre tickets for a show in London, and it was more expensive to purchase them online. The cheapest option (although not cheap!) was to phone the box office direct (London Palladium)

Sir Radfordin 08:40 06 Feb 04

I am still amazed at the 'booking fee' that is being charged by companies for tickets bought online (esp. Cinemas which IMHO already charge too much!). Taking cinemas as an example, you book online, collect your tickets using your card from a machine and view the film. That must cut out at least one person from the chain?

National Express on the otherhand seem to have got tickets bought online sorted. You get sent an email print it out and away you go.

I am sure you can buy nearly anything you like online these days (legal or not!)

anchor 09:46 06 Feb 04

In my case, certainly Car Insurance worked out cheaper. I found that instead of paying the renewal premium that I received by post, I went to the same insurers web site, and just took out another policy. Saved me about £20. Done this 2 years in a row. Channel Ferry tickets are often a bit cheaper if bought on-line.

I agree with Sir Radfordin & georgemac; charging a booking fee for a theatre or cinema tickets bought on-line, is exorbitant.

georgemac 09:53 06 Feb 04

I also went to phone to book tickets for the Gatwick Express as I had a question, after 10 minutes on hold I'd had enough, and went ahead and booked the e-ticket online, very straightforward process.

JerryJay 11:17 06 Feb 04

Do not forget Share/Future Trading, Oneline dealing is 1M% better than phone.

Widows Son 12:06 06 Feb 04

Although insurance certificates do arrive by post and Lotto requires you to print out and post off an application. Flights are an excellent example & one that I have used but had not thought of when posting.

PurplePenny 12:14 06 Feb 04

I bought an e-book. That was great fun because as soon as the system checked my credit card I was whisked away to a download page. Pretty soon I had my book, a few minutes more and it was printed out (the licence allowed one print copy). Quicker than hopping on a bus and going to Blackwells. Mind you the binding is fairly naff ;-)

Libraries buy a lot of e-journals but I suspect that the purchasing bit *isn't* done online just the reading thereof :-)

Penny

A Cat Called George 13:55 06 Feb 04

After a few minutes setting things up the first time, it now takes seconds to pay my gas and electricity bills online.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…