what wattage to get

cbradley857 14:53 18 Nov 07

Just three questions:

1. how can i find out what Wattage PSU i currently have (preferably without opening up the computer)?

2. what wattage would i need for the following:
-2.2Ghz Athlon 64 3200+
-1.5GB PC3200 RAM
-ATI Radeon X1550 512Mb GPU

3. Is it a bad idea to get a PSU with a wattage higher than what i need?

spuds 16:26 18 Nov 07

Manufacturers usually supply the psu adequate to the requirements of the computer,usually 350 watts and above. Having an higher wattage psu is not a bad idea, if you think that you are going to make additional changes to the existing specifications.If you are thinking of changing the psu, make sure that the replacement will fit the existing set-up, before making a purchase.

If you are still on speaking terms with the computer manufacturer or retailer, then you could perhaps ask them for the specification, or you could post the computer model etc on here.

If you do not know what is in the case, then Belarc click here SIW click here or Everest may provide the details. The first two are free to download and use, Everest is now old hat in the original version or payment required in later versions.

cbradley857 18:44 18 Nov 07

well at the minute i have a Targa Now AV2600
with an Asus K8V-MX mobo, a 1.6Ghz Sempron Processor, and Unichrome Pro IGP graphics, and ive bought the stuff above

I dont have a clue what PSU i have or what to get, and just want a figure (Watts)

Rayuk 19:01 18 Nov 07

Looks as if it may be a 250watt Fortron psu which is a good make so you may just get away with using it.
click here

cbradley857 19:07 18 Nov 07

cant get onto the Targa site but i think i would b safer gettin at least a 420 watt for the Radeon

how huch would i be talkin for a good 420 watt PSU?

SANTOS7 19:16 18 Nov 07

click here

Get the BIGGEST you can afford it will serve you better in the long run, i actually have the third one down (needs must at the time) but a higher powered PSU will have less stress put on it and last longer,if i had the money now i would certainly buy the fifth one down in the list.....

cbradley857 19:20 18 Nov 07

ok, would there be any problems getting them to fit or are they like 'one size fits all'?

spuds 19:37 18 Nov 07

As I mentioned previously, make sure before you purchase, its not a case everytime that 'one size fits all'?. Novatech in Santos7 link are a very good company, they should be able to put you on the right tracks regarding the correct type and fitting.If its wrong, then you have the Distance Selling regulations in your favour, more so if they recommend the item and its wrong.

Normally though, a simple upgrade psu change can be relatively easy and straightforward.

Rayuk 19:38 18 Nov 07

You are talking £40-50 for good quality unit + p&p of course.
The thing to consider is that your next upgrade will most likely require a higher watt psu than 420 so if the 250 doesnt handle what you have now I would certainly think a 350 would

SANTOS7 19:50 18 Nov 07

250/350 watt PSUs would be considered inadequate for any of todays running demands for a PC, the lowest you should consider 500w........

esbe 23:22 18 Nov 07

try this calculator click here

cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac