//some 3rd party need geo

What is a unified graphics card?

dandanman 21:54 25 Aug 03

I am thinking of buying an amd based system from Carrera SSC, but the graphics card it comes with is a "128mb unified NVidea GeForce 4."

Is this an integrated graphics card on the mother board and if so, how good will it be?

DieSse 22:26 25 Aug 03

I've never heard this description before, except in that nvidia use "unified graphics drivers"

I suggest you ask Carrera, as you say the normal description is integrated - they'll know, we'll be guessing.

malgall 18:40 26 Aug 03

most 3d cards sold now are ati or nvidia
they supply 3d card then other manufacturers
make them some will also supply there version of drivers i use creative drivers for my geforce 3d card but most use nvidia drivers which work on all there cards.

geforce 4 cards include mx420 mx440 4200 4600 and 4800 the 128 mb points to the last 3 only
which means you have got a good 3d card

dandanman 19:34 26 Aug 03

Thanks for the help.

I found out that it is an integrated card on Leadtek K7NCR18 , but it uses system ram instead of its own memory.

Does that significantly affect perfomance so that you would notice it? The system I am thinking of will have 1024mb of ddr ram (pc3200) and an AMD Athlon 2600+ XP. Is an AGP card at the same specs more efficiant?

jazzypop 22:23 26 Aug 03

128MB of RAM on a graphics card will work much more quickly than 128MB of system RAM, as the RAM on the graphics card is inherently much faster.

How much faster depends on the exact model of card you get, compared to the speed of the system RAM.

This is a complex area, and there are many more factors to take into account than raw speed of RAM, but if you are looking for top gaming performance, insist on a good quality stand-alone AGP card rather than a card that shares system memory.

If you will mainly be using Office applications, you will not notice any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…