What type of RAM can I use on an upgrade?

Mackam69 19:24 12 Oct 04

I am trying to upgrade my eMachines 210 which has 256 DDR Ram I think it is a PC2100U, but I don't really understand RAM etc and how to tell which type, number of pins etc I need. Anybody help me as I wish to get one 512MB then later get another 512MB. Help!!

Smartfish 19:32 12 Oct 04

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer or checking their website? They usually have info on what u can do.
There are certain sites that allow u to check if the RAM is compatible. Try Crucial.com there quite good, last time I checked.

Mackam69 19:58 12 Oct 04

I checked that website and it did give me a type, I assume if I get a 184 Pin DDR Ram then it will work. The manufacturers website was not much use to be honest.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:25 12 Oct 04

You need to make sure you get the correct 184 pin DDR ram. Order from click here and you will be certain to get the correct ram, there are many different specs.

It sounds like you require PC2100 ram, which is also known as DDR ram and runs at 266MHz. Crucial's website will help you choose the correct type (184pin is correct).

If in event they supply a wrong type, it'll be easy enough to exchange for the type you need. You can always phone them first to make sure. (512MBs will probably suit your requirements unless you're into heavy video editing.)

By the way, until the newer ram came out with different bus speeds (to support faster CPUs), PC2100 was the only DDR ram you could get. Now you have PC2700 (333MHz), PC3200 (400MHz), PC4000 etc. Shows what a nerd I've become I suppose...

davidg_richmond 06:51 13 Oct 04

click here

You require 184pin PC2100. Use Belarc Advisor from click here or click here to find out how many banks of memory you currently have used, as this will determine what size you need to buy. You have two slots in total.

Mackam69 08:39 13 Oct 04

I would have probably ordered the wrong one without advice. So many numbers!!!

speedy12 20:58 14 Oct 04

From what i've read you also need to make sure the memory latencys (timing) match up.

e.g. 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 etc...

im no expert but i know thats one thing to look out for.

Maybe someone could clarify this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…