What TV next?

SB23 20:38 29 May 08

Would you believe, I've just had 2 tv's go bang in the last 10 days, and neither of them are worth fixing.
The Toshiba was 28", and the Philips was a 32" flatscreen, and both have served me well-ish.

The problem I have at the mo is the fact that since I used to sell TV's things have moved on a little, and I'm really not sure what brand to go for.

The "Boss" is insisting on a 32" min, HD ready LCD screen and has been looking at all the usual makes, but one that has struck her as a good deal with a free 3 year warranty is a Wharfedale. I will say that there are others too, including a Sony, but the 2 main brands I would go for, I've now been put off by the fact that my 2 tv's were not economical to repair.

Any suggestions what to look at?

Thanks

Steve

citadel 21:26 29 May 08

I looked at a lot in showrooms and found that samsung had the best looking picture.

wjrt 21:34 29 May 08

advice £1 for 30 days or try your local library
click here

Totally-braindead 23:10 29 May 08

Mates got a Samsung and the picture is fantastic, particularly if you connect up a console to it.

Strange this is, they saw a High Def Samsung which was dearer next to another Samsung that wasn't High Def and both him and his wife agreed that the cheaper non High Definition TV had the better picture. So going by their experience I would want to see whatever I wanted to buy actually switched on to see what I thought

Must admit every time I visit I do find myself thinking to myself, what a brilliant picture it has.

belfman 00:22 30 May 08

Do you know which model?

(((sorry for intruding)))

Totally-braindead 11:12 30 May 08

I'll ask him but it might be a couple of days before I get the answer.

The high def TV was £200 more I think it was and both he and the wife saw them side by side showing exactly the same program and he said they were like chalk and cheese. The cheaper one he eventually bought was vibrant with lifefike colours and clarity and no ghosting. The way he described the expensive one was flat, dull and lifeless.

belfman 11:20 30 May 08

I bought a wharfedale from argos. Rather pleased with it for £499. Apparently they'll post me a leaflet for a free 3 yr guarantee. Hmmmmm.

SB23 16:42 30 May 08

My wife has been looking at the Wharfedale again today, and to be honest it does look like a good deal from Argos.
Btw, she was also told that they post the paperwork to you with all the 3 year warranties.

Me, I'm still looking, lol!

Steve

Jim Thing 17:53 30 May 08

I bought a 32" LG last Christmas and I'm delighted with it. It has a Freeview tuner built in and the picture quality is impressive. I paid £429 from a local dealer (i.e not one of the multiples).

I'm now hoping to get Freesat installed in time to see the European football championship — if I can get my hooks on a Humax high-definition Freesat Rx box, that is...

SB23 18:56 30 May 08

Been looking at those Freesat boxes too, don't tell the wife!

Jim Thing 19:48 30 May 08

Your secret is safe with me ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…