What sort of hard drive ?

ZootHornRollo 12:27 15 Oct 03

I'm looking to buy a new PC very soon and the HDDs on offer are either UDMA or IDE - what's the difference between the two, if any, and which is better ?

Stuartli 13:36 15 Oct 03

UDMA (ultra direct memory access)
is the definition of a new protocol for the interface between the hard drive and the system.

It improves upon the ATAPI/EIDE standard by doubling data transfer rates to 33MB/sec, enusuring faster disk reads and writes.

To take advantage of UDMA, both the system and hard drive must support the protocol.

UDMA retains backwards compatibility for previously existing hardware, so the best bet is to buy the latest and finest HDD you can for futureproofing.

In any case HDDs are so cheap these days at a £1 per GB or less that you might as well get the largest you can afford.

For interest, Western Digital hard drives with model numbers ending in JB, such as WD600JB, come with a three rather than one year guarantee, but the penalty is a slightly smaller capacity.

expertec 14:01 15 Oct 03

You can get a 120 GB Hard Drive for £81.14 at click here (they probably have other 120GB for cheaper, that one was on the front page)

tenaka 17:45 16 Oct 03

U missed out SATA but unless you have a recent PC it prolly won't support it and if you had a new-ish pc then you prolly wouldn't be looking for a new hdd, so i'll shut up now......

But in all seriousness, SATA prices don't seem as high as I thought they'd be. Am considering it as my next hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…