What should I do next?

Stoneywood 13:59 01 Jun 10

Due to inconsistent Broadband delivery and frustrations with the AOL Broadband Technical Support, I sent a “recorded” letter to AOL on 7th May, cancelling my service agreement with them and requesting my MAC code.
I have had no response.

To make matters worse, I sent a letter to The Royal Bank of Scotland on 20th May, instructing them to make no further Mastercard payments to AOL.
This also was ignored and a payment was made to AOL on 27th May.

What has happened to business etiquette and customer support?
The only way that I can think of to regain control of this situation is to cancel my Mastercard. (I have used this credit card for 40years.)

Finally, AOL seems to have moved the helpful web pages instructing on cancellation. Maybe because they do not conform to the Code of Practice?

Has anyone had a similar experience or knows what I should do next?

DGB

birdface 14:44 01 Jun 10

I sent a letter to The Royal Bank of Scotland on 20th May.
A Friday if my memory is correct.
So probably never got there in time to stop the transaction.

MAT ALAN 14:49 01 Jun 10

If you stop any transaction before you have spoken to AOL you may well be in breach of their T&Cs and liable to prosecution.
However frustrating it may be keep trying.
They cannot refuse to issue you with your MAC code and are obliged to send it to you within 5 days. If you have any issues with this OFCOM would offer suitable advice and a course of action to take...

MAT ALAN 14:52 01 Jun 10

click here

the link gives details...

ronalddonald 15:25 01 Jun 10

You should of set both letters on the 7th of may. Anyway there should be some kind of cooling of period to cancel. Go to your local citizens advice bureau to ask them what to do next.

spuds 15:28 01 Jun 10

AOL cannot refuse to issue you a mac code, unless you are in breach of the terms and conditions that you agreed. Stopping payment could lead to a debt collector's letter, and some payment methods can only be canceled by the recipient, and not directly by yourself.

You could contact any of the following for further advice: (Ofcom) click here (Otelo) click here (ISPA) click here

Al94 18:27 01 Jun 10

I think I'm correct in saying that giving a letter to your bank cancelling a direct debit will not mean that it won't be paid.

What it does mean is that if a company originates a direct debit after the date of your letter, if you contact the bank, they will refund your account and claim a refund from the company under the direct debit indemnity scheme.

Stoneywood 19:30 01 Jun 10

Thanks to all.
Good advice. Probably not wise to cancel payment. Especially since I am still using the service.
Very frustrating to do everything "by the book" and then be ignored.
DGB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos