What should I do?

Leeleemu 22:08 09 Aug 05

Shop Im ordering PC from has said I would be better off with two Asus GeForce 6600 GT 128mb's then a Sapphire Radeon x800 XL 256mb. What I want to know is, do two cards work just as well as one and which choice would you guys make?

Thanks

€dstowe 06:34 10 Aug 05

Why would you need two video cards?

The reason the shop is trying to fob you off with this is most likely that they don't have a 256MB card in stock but they think you will believe them when they tell you that 128 plus 128 equals 256 and they have a surplus of 128 cards. Well, it doesn't equate in this case.

Ask what their reasoning is on this and then shop elsewhere if (when) you are not satisfied with the answer.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:16 10 Aug 05

I would take my money and walk from this lot.

G

Diodorus Siculus 08:53 10 Aug 05

Maybe they are talking of SLI - a system developed by nVidia whereby two graphics cards can work together on one board.

Simsy 08:55 10 Aug 05

rather devils advocate here...

I'm trying to visualise a situation where the advise given MIGHT be accurate...

Does the Sapphire Radeon x800 XL 256mb support 2 monitors? Are you intending to use 2 monitors? If the answer to BOTH those questions is "YES", AND the shop knows that, then there MIGHT be some truth in the advice, and further advice should be sought/awaited.

If the answer to EITHER question is "NO", then I'd do the same as GANDALF <|:-)> and walk away. It's difficult to see how they are not, at best, misleading you. If they think your expertise will not pick up on this, then how else might they rip you off?

With my apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here!

Regards,

Simsy

Diodorus Siculus 08:57 10 Aug 05

Check with them; the card they suggest seems to be compatible. Are you into gaming?

Leeleemu 16:11 10 Aug 05

Yes I am buying a new PC for University as I am going into Animation and Special Effects, I do intend on using two monitors and am a huge gamer, the shop just said that if I go for two Asus GeForce 6600 GT 128mb's then the chip and memory clock would equate to more then that of the one Sapphire Radeon X800 XL 256MB PCI Express.

My main spec is as follows:

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Socket 939

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm Socket 939

Memory: Kingmax PC3200 SuperRAM 400Mhz 2GB DDR (2x1GB) Dual Channel Pair

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 120GB FDB 8MB SATA

Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 200GB FDB 8Mb SATA

I would just like to know what Graphics card or cards you would have for what I intend to do? This is due to the fact that I dont have a clue about the insides of computers and would just really like to know which card would be best

Thanks, Lee

Jdoki 16:12 10 Aug 05

Two 6600GT cards in SLI will provide similar performance to one X800XL 256MB.

This is not a case of '128Mb + 128Mb = 256Mb so they must be the same', but purely a measure of the relative the GPU performance and what SLI can offer you.

But you must have an SLI compliant motherboard.

Jdoki 16:20 10 Aug 05

On a side note, if you are planning on doing a lot of rendering as part of the special effects element of your course you may want to think about a different CPU.

If you can stretch your budget, an AMD X2 CPU would meet your requirements better as most rendering packages are multi-threaded so will see a massive performance boost from using dual core CPU's.

Leeleemu 16:25 10 Aug 05

Well I have a Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Socket 939 motherboard on order, surely if I got two of the GeForce 128's then the chip and memory clock would double to 1000 and 2000 respectively with the Radeon x800 XL 256mb still at 400 and 1000.

Is there any truth in that?

Also I am trying to stretch my budget but doubt I can, I am trying though.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:28 10 Aug 05

"Well I have a Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Socket 939 motherboard on order, surely if I got two of the GeForce 128's then the chip and memory clock would double to 1000 and 2000 respectively with the Radeon x800 XL 256mb still at 400 and 1000."

Sorry, it doesn't work like that. In reality you can expect an increase in performance of around 50% compared to one of the cards on it's own. Bear in mind though that SLI does not work in all games, many do not support it. I think you would be better off with a single Radeaon X800, it would certainly be my choice given your options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5