What shall I Buy... Mesh or Evesham?

Ski-lo 03:20 03 Jan 06

Hello all. Can people please give me some guidance! I have spent most of today thoroughly reading this site and constantly changing my mind about what computer I will buy due to people's varying experiences with Mesh.

I customized on the Mesh website what seems like the ideal machine for me, someone you needs to graphically demanding programs involving 3D modelling and rendering.

Mesh - Elite² D830 (03) £1500

>Intel Pentium D 830 Dual Core (3.0GHz,2MB Cache,800MHz)
>Brushed Aluminium ATX Midi Tower +550W PSU- Silver
>ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe - PCI Express Mainboard - ATX
>4GB DDR 400 Memory (4x 1024MB)
>300GB SATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
>2x 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT - DVI - SLI Configuration
>19" ViewSonic VX924 TFT Flat Panel Monitor -DVI (3ms)

Questions I have are:

>Will such a machine be noisy? Containing 2x 70mm Neon LED Case exhaust fans and a single Neon LED 120mm intake fan behind the facia. This would ruin the idea of using the PC Media Center in a lounge environment if it purred like a sleeping lion.

>Does anyone have this chassis? How does the I/O pop-up panel on top of the machine works? Does it need to remain open in order to plug USB devices into it?? (I understand the Evesham Decimator has a similar design if anyone has that?)
Plus are there more USB ports in the rear of this model as there are on other Mesh machines?

>Would a dual core Athlon 4400+ be better suited for me than the Intel Pentium D 830 Dual Core (3.0GHz)?

>Finally, and what has prompted the most thought... the customer service. Have people you have had these problems had "On-Site service warranty" and still not been happy with the service?

The alternative computer I have looked into is from Evesham due to several recommendations on service, though exceeds my desired budget I could stretch to this:

Again I do not know what series would be better for me, an Athlon based processor from the "Axis" series or an Intel Pentium 4 based processor form the "Evolution" series.

Evesham - Evolution Xcaliber Plus (Jan 06) £1650

>Intel Pentium 4 650 (3.4GHz)
>Brushed Aluminium Fronted Case with Colour LCD Screen
>2GB DDR2 RAM 533Mhz (Is DDR 2 significantly more efficient than DDR?)
>250GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive with 8MB Buffer
>256MB nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT PCI Express Graphics (Does a sound card need to have SLI Configuration on an SLI motherboard in order to be run in combination with a second graphics card? Or will I not be able to buy another sound card in the future to work in tandem with this 6800GT? - I’m far from knowledgeable on this matter!!)
>19" ViewSonic VX924 TFT Flat Panel Monitor -DVI (3ms)

My instincts tell me the Mesh is what I want, vast amounts of RAM and a superior graphics card solution. Agree? Any help on any of the above matters would be greatly appreciated…. Or any tips on other computers wouldn’t go a miss either!

Thanks in advance
Adam

PS Apologies for the length of this e-mail, my first as a member, but I really want to make sure I make the correct decision as I need this computer to last me 3-5years!

Ski-lo 05:05 03 Jan 06

The most comparable DELL to meet my needs is this, similar but slightly more in price of around £1600

Dell 5150c

Biggest dissappointment is the graphics card supplied... does anyone know anything about it?

>Intel Pentium D 830 Dual Core (3.00GHz, 800FSB, 2x1MB cache)
>Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (4x1024) Memory
>Monitor Dell 19" UltraSharp™ Flat Panel with Height Adj Stand (1905FP)
>Video Card 128MB ATI Radeon® X600 SE graphics card
>Hard Drive 250GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst cache

Also is this monitor comparable to the 19" ViewSonic VX924 TFT??

I think that's enough questions for one night!

Cheers All,
Adam

961 09:20 03 Jan 06

Youv'e got classic symptons of Meshitis, I'm afraid

This disease is caused by the conundrum bug, which is found near those who are considering buying a computer built by Mesh

The computers are well specified and good value. Lots of folk buy them and avoid Meshitis

Occasionally someone gets a computer from Mesh that doesn't work properly. That's when they find that the after sales service can be poor as you've no doubts seen from the endless threads in this forum

You ask about those who have on-site service. I have to say that the provision of an engineer to come to your home is down to the decision of those at the end of the help line and is by no means automatic. I would hazard a guess that the very great najority of Mesh computers have on-site. A decision that, despite on-site, the machine must come back to the workshop, can lead to all sorts of frustration, the absence of the machine for quite a time, and no guarantee that it will be working faultlessly when it arrives back

I can't say what your decision should be. But I can make a suggestion. If you order the Mesh, pay by CREDIT card, ensure that it works properly when it arrives. Don't mess around with the software if you aren't competent to do so, make regular back ups with True Image or Ghost or whatever so that you don't need to lose all your stuff if things go wrong.

Chances are it will work fine, and you'll be very pleased with it

But if it doesn't work properly when you get it, reject it and send it back for a refund. Straight away. No messing

Incidentally, that advice applies whoever you buy the computer from

spuds 09:39 03 Jan 06

What 961 states, is very sound advice. Many computer manufacturers are after your business, but at the end of the day, you want that 'peace of mind' if things go wrong.Nothing more down-heartening than expecting that service engineers knock on the door, when you are told that it is a return to base situation, with the end result that you are faced with looking at a blank space, where your computer use to sit. I have been in that situation, and it ain't very nice.So allow for this, especially if you are asked for extra warranty payments. Remember, whatever you buy now,may or may not be reduced in price in a month or so, due to Christmas sales and cash-flow targets.So don't rush into things unless you are really desperate.

Broon Bottle 20:54 17 Mar 06

Keep well away from Mesh. Looks like a great spec for the money but if something goes wrong (as is often the case)then don't rely on any after sales support. Take it from me, it's an absolute nightmare !

Starfox 21:12 17 Mar 06

Not an easy thing to give,but as you probably know the Mesh machine as specified puts the others in the shade.Suppose it boils down to your own level of competance(how much support you are likely to need etc)and your faith in Mesh after sales service(or lack of it).

If you do go with Mesh, and thousands of customers have and not had a problem,then 961 has given plenty of good advice.

kinger 23:21 17 Mar 06

I personally use a top end Mesh with no probs whatsoever.

However, I've never required their customer service so can only say that it's the best laptop I've ever owned and I've had loads of 'em.

10 out of 10 for build quality.

Ski-lo 00:49 21 Mar 06

Well I have had my MESH machine for a month or so now and it works wonders.

I only have one query I have been unable to solve... about the cooler master system.

I would like some advice, Davey (from MESH) if you could help with this or anyone that knows...

I read many reviews saying my machine will be silent due to controls for the fans easily accessible at the rear of the machine (for the cooler master).. but these controls are not obvious (unless inside the casing?) and so my machine makes a noise constantly as soon as I turn it on. Where are these controls? As I do not need these fans for everyday computing tasks. There were also no instructions illustrating what I should connect the cooler master system up to (there is an "In" and "Out" socket and one cable with jacks).

Other than this minor detail I love the machine, and recommend this to anyone who really needs multitasking power, it really does put my laptop to shame (2.66ghz Pentium 4, 512mb RAM - Sony Vaio, also great machine but another loud fan job!).

Anyone able to help me out here?

Ski-lo 00:50 21 Mar 06

Also, word of advice about delivery:

Ring up Mesh the day before delivery (as i did) becuase i found out there was a days delay which I would not have been hapy to find out the hard way, being sat at home all day twiddling my thumbs! When speaking to them though they were quick with information and useful.

Also on day of delivery if you call Amtrac (think's what they were called) they will give you a more accurate delivery time.

Ski-lo 00:58 21 Mar 06

I would also like to add I just realised I didn't go for that MESH machine in the end, but a higher spec, i went for the athlon and top end dual processor to make sure it lasts for years to come, better mo bo, extra hard drive etc...

MESH X-treme R600
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ with HT Tech.
Brushed Aluminium ATX Midi Tower +550W PSU- Silver
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
600GB (2x 300GB Serial ATA Hard Drives)

Danoh 01:43 21 Mar 06

I'm totally jealous! :-)

Have bought from MESH, good on-site service and excellent non-standard multi-partitioning (was free at their discretion) when it was returned to base before the manic Xmas period.

But you do need the patience and precaution you clearly have as they do seem stretched.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…