What replacement graphics card do I need?

robbo947 07:10 AM 29 Aug 12

Hi,

Now I will add as much info as I can to try and find the right answer, but with everything there is online I don't know where to start?

This is the info I have just copied....

Windows 7 Ultimate

System

Manufacturer PACKARD BELL BV Model iXtreme Y8520 Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM System type 32-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2 64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 793 GB Disk partition (C:) 281 GB Free (327 GB Total) Media drive (D:) CD/DVD Disk partition (I:) 120 GB Free (466 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0) Total available graphics memory 256 MB Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB Dedicated system memory 64 MB Shared system memory 192 MB Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1749 Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050 DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

The graphics card that isn't working is....

GV-N860G512IA nVIDIA GeForce 8600GS 512MB VGA/DVI/TVO PCIe Graphics Card

Could anyone please point me in the right direction for a replacement? eBay, PC World etc.

Many Thanks

Ben

wee eddie 09:29 AM 29 Aug 12

Ben: Before you start spending money.

What is it that convinces you that your current Graphics Card has failed?

While I am not doubting that it is no longer working, there may be ways of re-igniting it that would save you a few shekels.

robbo947 10:30 AM 29 Aug 12

Hey wee eddie!

My PC doesn't turn on when it's plugged in.

I was trying to watch a trailer this morning on Yahoo, I tried to change the video to 720, the PC stopped working and the PC just turned off.

I unplugged everything in an effort to turn the PC back on, Then it worked when I took out the card, I would love to get it working again if possible??

Ben

wee eddie 11:32 AM 29 Aug 12

What do you do when you unplug the Graphics Card?

Do you change the Monitor's Cable from the Graphics Card Socket to the Mother Board's Connection Panel or is it already connected there?

Woolwell 11:33 AM 29 Aug 12

One of the limitations is that as far as I am aware the PSU is only 250w.

robbo947 12:15 PM 29 Aug 12

The card has been working fine for a good couple of years.

Plugged or unplugged into the motherboard video card the PC turns on, once you add the graphics card, plugged or unplugged it will not turn on.

Ben

wee eddie 12:45 PM 29 Aug 12

As far as I know.

Even if a non working Graphics Card is plugged into the correct Slot, it should not cause the System to fail to boot. All that should happen, is that a Monitor, plugged into the Graphics Card, will display a logo, or message, saying 'No Signal'.

Are the Contacts on the Graphics Card damaged and, potentially, causing a Short Circuit.

When you install the Graphics Card, do you move the Monitor's Connection to the Graphics Card, or leave it where it is?

robbo947 17:31 PM 29 Aug 12

Cosmetically the card looks sound.

Regardless if the VGA cable is plugged in or not the PC still doesn't power up, not even for a moment.

No logo, Nothing.

I have checked the slots on the motherboard, besides dust, they look ok and in one piece.

Ben

robbo947 20:42 PM 30 Aug 12

Sooooo.......

Back on topic??

wee eddie 11:37 AM 31 Aug 12

I have no idea where/how to look next, but the problem could be the Slot rather than the Card, if that is the case, then buying a new card would not solve the problem.

SC, another question.

Without the Card in place and when the PC starts normally. Do you get a POST Beep?

When the Card is in it's Slot and the Monitor is plugged into the Card rather than the PC. What happens when you turn the PC on?

Nothing - No lights, no noises, no sound of Hard Drive starting - or what?

wee eddie 11:40 AM 31 Aug 12

Another question, from what you said in your second Posting.

"I was trying to watch a trailer this morning on Yahoo, I tried to change the video to 720, the PC stopped working and the PC just turned off."

What did you actually do?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…