What printer to buy?

celticbird 08:50 04 Jul 10

My rather ancient HP deskjet 990cxi pro series is on it's last legs and I need to replace it with something, but the choice is to much for me to get my head round.

I have to print the usual stuff for work, EHO forms, staff blurp etc. and I will ow be starting a fan club and will need to print in good quality colour with various thickness of card and magnetic paper. I guess I'm looking for an all-in-one, but I do have to stick to a budget of £50-£75. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

spuds 10:29 04 Jul 10

I have a number of all-in-ones of various makes, all are or have been very good workhorses.Some people may advice that all-in-ones are problematic, but I have never really found this to be a true case.

HP have been very good, in fact I am still using an ex-retired HP 960 OfficeJet on occasions. The inks are still available for this very old model.
But over recent months, HP have been a little lacking with support, to the sadness that a previously very good Photosmart C3180 as been destined to the store cupboard. A simple problem that HP have given up on!.

If its print ink consumption you want, then consider a printer that will accommodate a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) or cheap easily available compatibles.

Canon, Lexmark and Epson all have their own little oddities, whether that is a print head or ink problem due to lack of use, or noise and slow speeds etc.

At the moment I have been using on a daily basis a Brother DCP-135C. Great product with cheap compatible cartridge availability and CISS if required. Its literally printed off thousands of various formats from stiff card to photo. I also obtained an extra 2 year free warranty extension on registering the product. This particular product cost (I believe) £39.99 from Rymans about 12 months ago.

I would point out that virtually all my printers have been in the price range of £9.99 (Dell/Lexmark) delivered to less than £56.00 except the old HP 960 when printers were expensive.

I don't know if Staples still have a returns policy on unsuitable products like printers. It might pay to find this out!.

Hope the above helps!.

celticbird 11:21 04 Jul 10

Thanks for your thoughts. My husband has a Lexmark and it doesn't get used very often and therefore the ink problem you mentioned through lack of use.

I have heard quite good things about Canon and Epson but then I'm stuck again because I'm not too sure what model to be looking at.

Kevscar1 11:38 04 Jul 10

First question. If you are only ging to be printing why do you need an all in one.
Haev used Epson for well over 15 years and never had a problem with any of them, also bught them for my grandaughters.
You can get a set of 10 compatible inks for around £30 and they print A4 photos at the same quality as the originals.

celticbird 12:08 04 Jul 10

I'd prefer an all in one for the various things that I do, both for work and promotion for my friends band.

OTT_B 12:22 04 Jul 10

PC advisor have some recommendations:

click here

click here

click here

961 14:24 04 Jul 10

I'd stick with HP because of all the threads in here talking about cost of printers that have mega print head cleaning cycles such as Canon

HP printers, with the heads in the cartridge are much cheaper to run

click here

The ones that use just 2 catridges, one black, one tri colour, are by far the cheapest to run

And if you buy the high capacity jobs they are even cheaper

HondaMan 12:28 05 Jul 10

I use an OKI C5600DN colour laser.

Prints are clear and sharp and whiulst not photo quality, for everyday printing and publishing, it's fine. Plus, it will print double sided.

Newer versions are available.

chub_tor 15:19 05 Jul 10

In your price range this Epson click here has had several recommendations on this and other forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…