what price XP

kindly 19:29 06 Feb 06

Hi everyone, today i priced a legal copy of windows XP at a local store, (the name is hot!!)it came to a wopping £179. I then went onto a web site, (the name is like an exploding star) i dont know if you can put their names here or not. The price came out at £63. That is plus posting. Well i think it is really off that the price be so different. I know we can save using online stores but to save over £100 pound i say that some superstores are still ripping us off.
I wonder why the big difference.

ed-0 19:45 06 Feb 06

One is probably a retail boxed version. click here. £177.00

The other is probably an OEM version. click here . £59.99

Both are full versions of windows home.

spuds 19:45 06 Feb 06

You may find the difference is due to whether it is OEM,Upgrade or Full package.

Regarding name dropping,just a couple of many reputable companies, try click here or click here for bargain Windows XP's.

ed-0 19:47 06 Feb 06

When I say full versions, I mean both will load windows XP home onto the computer. The home version is more versatile than the oem version.

SG Atlantis® 20:08 06 Feb 06

"The home version is more versatile than the oem version"

????

OEM, must only be installed on a new computer, once installed on a computer it cannot be transferred to any other machine.

Retail, can be installed on any computer. It can be transferred to other machines provided it's taken off the previous computer. You can only have it on one machine at a time. You are entitled to full support from Microsoft.

Forum Editor 20:14 06 Feb 06

to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

SG Atlantis® 20:17 06 Feb 06

I should have also said, that both OEM xp home and Retail xp home are EXACTLY the same.

It's only the support and T+C's of use that are different.

ade.h 22:07 06 Feb 06

Thank you, SG, for throwing some common sense facts in to this! It often appears as if no-one has ever read Microsoft's EULA terms...

Points to remember:

1) The EULA must be adhered to, because it is intended to protect a company's IP.

2) The EULA states quite clearly in what circumstances one can purchase and use an OEM issue of a Windows OS.

3) Having built a PC from scratch and installed an OEM issue on it, the right to use it dies when that PC is broken up, destroyed, substantially modified, etc.

4) £180 is an absolutely tiny pittance to pay for the single most sophisticated software product that you are ever likely to use.

dmc727 10:27 07 Feb 06

Is it that clear cut? Think it depends what kind of user you are and how long you use the program.

From the very start I’ve built my own computers (with help) starting with Win95 progressing to Win98, ME and currently WinXP Home. The longest I’ve had one is about four years, my current XP OEM, on a computer substantially upgraded three times which MS have allowed.

Come the new Windows Vesta I shall no doubt, after it has been out a few months, change to it.

On reflection a full retail XP product wouldn’t have benefited me – could have paid three times the money for no gain.

SG Atlantis® 10:37 07 Feb 06

it is now, the EULA was changed recently. Check the FEs past blog entries.

dmc727 11:50 07 Feb 06

I’m aware there has been a change to OEM licensing which allowed greater flexibility to self build with XP. Not aware there has been any change to the rules to upgrading your self build computer with XP OEM installed – the bottom line is that MS uses some discretion. That is the risk I took on board when going down the OEM route.

There is some maxim which says that computing power doubles roughly every 18 months and the past is showing these programs only have a very limited life time – almost disposable. Why treat them as anything else?

Each product has its own EULA therefore I shall await the release of Windows Vesta and then make a judgment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now