What PDA Accessories (if any) Do I Need To Buy ?

gcs_uk 19:06 18 May 03

Decided to buy a Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC.

Looking at their site there is a plethora of accessories, so I wonder what do I really need to buy.

I am going to buy one of their carrying cases and a synch cable. I believe I need one of these to download/upload data to my PC.

Would you recommend buying a 64mb compact flash card. The Axim itself has 64mb of memory.

Is there anything else that you think I would need to get me started.

weejobbie 20:03 18 May 03

I suggest to check what will come with the PDA as standard - it should always come with either a sync cradle or a sync cable - certainly you do not need to buy that item yourself.

If you are using your PDA very often (like me for business meeting in and out of the office) then I would suggest a good strong carry case.

You will also need to have a protective overlay to the screen - it will gather dust and can be scratched without protection.

Extra memory is not required, as during sync any data on your handheld should be backed up on your PC. However, you may want to put different type of files on a separate memory card (I put games and MP3 on mine) in order not to use up the PDA's memory.

If you need to input text to your PDA (say, for recording notes outwith the office) it is also beneficial to have a foldable fullsize qwerty keyboard.

Forum Editor 20:38 18 May 03

the Axim X5 appears to come with a USB sync cable, but not a cradle. It isn't clear to me from what I've seen, but it may be that the device can sync to your PC with just the cable connected to its sync port (which it has as standard).

There's a cradle available, but it's an option, and it contains an extra slot for a spare battery (good idea). You might need to check the situation with Dell, but even if the cradle isn't required I would buy it - you'll find it very handy.

I have a Toshiba e350, and it can't sync without its cradle. I find the cradle a real help - it's heavy, and doesn't slide around all over the place. When you've paid a fair wodge of loot for a PDA you don't want to see it slide gracefully off your crowded desktop one fine day.

Otherwise I would get a good case, as weejobbie suggests, but that's all - 64Mb of memory is enough unless you're a music freak.

bfoc 14:16 19 May 03

The Axim X5 400 comes with a sync cradle, whereas the Axim X5 300 doesn't.

The extra memory of the 400, as well as the cradle and the faster processor seem to me to make it better value.

My daughter who uses her Jornada 545 a huge amount found the targus keyboard excellent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…