what pc spec best for web design/graphics

adam2pac 03:32 17 Oct 03

I want to buy a pc solely used for web designing. Does anyone have an idea on what sort of pc I should get? A pc specification list would be very helpful. Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:27 17 Oct 03

The cheapest one at PCW will be more than enough (Emachine 420 @ £499). I would go for a 19" monitor though as you will find this a lot easier on the eye for graphics work. You will not need an expensive graphics card unless you are a dedicated gamer but 512mb of RAM will help. If it were me this is the one that I would get (18* TFT)click here

G

User-312386 09:09 17 Oct 03

or click here and get the cheapest one available

Patr100 16:10 17 Oct 03

Yes, any cheap PC will do the job. What you save on the Processor you can spend on a decent monitor.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:08 17 Oct 03

512Mb of RAM is a good aim.

G

Taran 18:05 17 Oct 03

At the risk of being slightly contradictory, you might find that when your designing talents grow you may need the extra oomph! that a dedicated graphics card provides.

I agree that you don't need the latest high flyer PC to run web designing applications but if you start batch processing lots of images (essential for efficient site gallery work) in demanding applications like Adobe Photoshop and Ulead PhotoImpact you will really notice a slowdown without a graphics card behind you.

It won't necessarily grind you to a halt though so while it is desirable I agree that it is not essential, unless of course you begin preparing 3D modelled or heavily animated sites in which case a good graphics card becomes more or less vital to your workflow.

For web designing in general though, you need not break the bank and most entry level computers offer a good starting point. Even if you select a system with integrated graphics, as long as you make sure that it has an empty AGP port you can always add a dedicated graphics card at a later date and at small cost.

The above advice about your monitor is very sound. Go for the largest monitor with the best image quality you can afford.

As in all things it is better to aim for a well balanced system rather than going for the fastest CPU, the biggest hard disk or whatever.

Whyn ot have a look at those systems suggested above or take a peak at the shops yourself. You can always ask about a particular system if you see something you like and there will always be people in here willing to offer a bit of assistance.

Regards

Taran

Sturmey 18:48 18 Oct 03

I would try to get the best monitor you can afford as your designing web pages and will possibly be looking at your screen for long periods of time you dont want eye strain.

My personal opinion is get a CRT monitor unless you need the desk space, I recently switched to an LCD and after a few hours it becomes very un-comfortable on the eyes, I am going back to a CRT.

adam2pac 23:24 18 Oct 03

Thank you everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Forum Editor 23:47 18 Oct 03

Get the largest screen you can afford. Get a CRT monitor, they're better for graphics and image work, no matter what anyone may tell you to the contrary.

Do NOT opt for the cheapest PC around - you'll be glad of plenty of processing power and as much RAM as you can manage. As Taran says, you'll also notice the benefit you get from a dedicated graphics card.

Finally, go for a broadband connection if it's avaliable and your budget can stretch to it. Once you start uploading sites to servers you'll really appreciate a fast connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…