What PC can I purchase for £250

Toy 19:49 08 Jul 05

I have a P2 233mhz and now looking to buy a new computer. I am not a techie so do not know if it is possible for £250. I could buy a second hand P3 for £100 I suppose? I have been on ebuyer and novatech but unsure if I would be getting a good deal or not. I want a CD RW drive but apart from that not too bothered. Any ideas?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:59 08 Jul 05
  Stuartli 20:25 08 Jul 05

It's without the monitor though...:-)

Also look at BigPockets' base refurbished/reconditioned desktop units (not many in at the moment, this appears the best):

click here

Also a number of laptops on similar basis, plus monitors from £30 upwards (refurbished/reconditioned).

e-Buyer has new Acer systems from £235 (plus monitor cost of around £60 upwards):

click here (DVD rewriters are around £30 upwards)

wee eddie 20:38 08 Jul 05

Is to make a list of what you have, and find out if each can be used with Windows XP. What OS are you currently running?

Secondly - DVD/CD Writers are frequently more use than CD-RW as re written disks are notoriously bad at holding records for any length of time and blank CDs get cheaper by the day.

With luck you can get away with a base unit.

Stuartli 20:48 08 Jul 05

With all due respects, with a PentiumII 233MHz CPU system there's not likely to be very much components wise that can/may be useful which wouldn't already be in a new or barebones base setup...:-)

wee eddie 21:04 08 Jul 05

They may all need to be replaced if not transferable when Toy moves to XP.

This would really muck him up, as the cost of change would rocket.

TomJerry 21:44 08 Jul 05

Dimension 2400

Do not forget to select 50+VAT off before 14 July.

You can get a nics PC for 250 click here

Try these,don't think they include a monitor though.click here

click here - decent spec and got XP included. £235

If you can´t use your old monitor click here - £60

Dave

dublincity 02:10 09 Jul 05

For 250.00 pounds you'll get an excellent custom-made 'to your specs' PC from a local, corner-shop manufacturer. The same PC would cost 750.00 pounds in the High Street.

I've just paid 20 pounds for a Pentium 2 from the Yellow Pages. I added a memory stick & it'll soon need a new graphics card but it's on XP Pro &, I hope, will last forever!

Pooke 10:16 09 Jul 05

" For 250.00 pounds you'll get an excellent custom-made 'to your specs' PC from a local, corner-shop manufacturer. The same PC would cost 750.00 pounds in the High Street"

Where did you buy yours to make that saving? Even it is Dublin (as in ur name) I wouldn't mind the travel down as it would be worth it.

I got mine custom made by a local shop in Belfast and if any, it cost slightly more than the retail equivalent. I thought it was worth it as I now know each and every component and thus it'll be easier to upgrade.

Pooke.

PS

Appologies for hijacking, but I think it'll be in peoples interests if they can save five hundred notes, by buying local.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…