What MSCE Training???????

Blokka 08:38 04 Nov 03

Now this isnt hardware or software related but it involves traning.
My knowlegde of pc's has steadily grown over the past year, so much that im now thinking about taking a MCSE Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer course/homestudy, now ive seen plenty of training places out there but im just wondering what ones are the best?, now i know the content of any course you do will be more or less the same what ever training centre you choose or home study course however it's the support you recieve etc.
Price is also something thats an issue since there are differences in prices between the companys its hard to know what to go for, so has anyone got any advice on this at all?

Forum Editor 09:26 04 Nov 03

before embarking on what could be an expensive and time-consuming process. If your aim is to achieve a certification purely for your own satisfaction that's fine - you'll learn a good deal and work very hard, and at the end of the course you'll have a certificate and the knowledge that you have reached a certain standard of proficiency - at least on paper you have.

If, on the other hand you believe that having an MSCE will enable you to get a plum job in IT I would think again before spending the money. I'm not saying that the qualification is worthless - it isn't - but I am saying that IT directors/system administrators fo not hire people on the basis of paper qualifications alone. What counts in the corporate IT world is hands-on experience, and given the choice between two candidates - one with an MCSE and no practical system experience, and one with no certification but a couple of years of hands-on experience - most employers will go for the un-certified but experienced person every time. I certainly would.

Years ago I worked very hard and spent a not insignificant amount of money to achieve a certification, and I can honestly say that in retrospect it made virtually no difference to the amount of fee paying work I received. If I had the choice again I wouldn't do it.

That's purely a personal view of course, and it isn't said to be negative at all. Paper qualifications are an excellent thing and I'm normally very much in favour of them, but I would be failing you if I didn't sound a note of warning.

hotwired 09:36 04 Nov 03

Hi
Have a look at this url which was posted my be before i became an mcse & ccna certified .
click here

There will be people to tell you two side of the mcse story
1) commerical experience is more valuable than paper certifications

2)certification are the paper to get your foot in door & waste of money etc etc

mcse is a lot of hard work 5 core exams with 2 electives it took me more thena 6 months to do it,with 2 failed exams.I am now employed by the 3rd largest IT services company in world due to these certification.

it give you a lot of exposure to microsoft 2000 and nt . the best bet is to go into a instructor led mcse course in a classroom which will be far better than home study.that is my opinion,

But it may differ for people due to cost and time have a look at this site also which is really good for new msce.

click here

johnnyrocker 11:07 04 Nov 03

hotwired.
your second link appears dead mate, page cannot be found.

cheers.

johnny.

hotwired 17:09 04 Nov 03

it looks like it working fine ,just give another try . or do a search in google for Daniel Petri .

This dude knows his stuff !!!!!!!

recap 18:50 04 Nov 03

I go along with the FE on this one "most employers will go for the un-certified but experienced person every time. I certainly would". And I have, I employ two assistants and both have small qualifications but have a whole lot of hands on experience. They are now both starting courses for the qualifications, their choice.

My opinion is that they are capable of doing the work without a qualification and have proved it time and time again, it's enough for me.

I personally have taken 4 tracks of the MCSE W2K server (no qualification, just for the knowledge) and will be doing a weeks course for Exchange server 2000 in a couple of weeks, again not for the qualification but the knowledge.

On one of the MCSE tracks I have taken, there was a chap that had read every book he could lay his hands on. When it came to actually putting his bookwrom knowledge he stumbled, got totally lost.

Don't get me wrong, a qualification can say a lot about a person i.e. they are willing and able to learn.

Blokka 09:04 05 Nov 03

Thanks for your advice, what im looking for is to gain more knowlegde of computers not just for the prospects of getting a job but also for personal satisfaction, however I would like to break into the IT industry at some stage!!
obviously if its experience what a company looks for most of the time would it be better to get a part time job some where?
Of course there is the money side of it as well to think about since it's not cheap so could i be better buying some MCSE books as well as doing a part time job?

recap 14:19 05 Nov 03

Part time work in a computer shop (building computers) would be an ideal starting point. If you get a job doing something else in the mean time consider volunteering your time.

There are many books both in the shops and online. A good publisher to look for is Sybex, they explain things in a technical but user friendly way.

Here are a couple of links to get you started.

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…